Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

First impressions of XTAR's D30 UW Video Light

Started by BCT ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

First impressions of XTAR's D30 UW Video Light

3 posts
  1. Hi, I am about to use this light to produce a short caving film. The light will be used both topside and UW (on a 4k camera rig) in an underground lake. Not at any deep depth. The torch itself is supposed to be good to 100m (it's got a double O-ring seal, magnetic switch etc). Anyway I just wrote some blurb and did some quick initial tests for temperature (not as in K) for how hot it gets if used topside. The build quality looks good. But why I got it is because it has a UV function (un filtered 365nm) and I want to use this to highlight some basic fluorescence within this particular cave system.  It's hot off the press from these guys at Xtar. Not sure what others think about their dive/video lights but this one appears initially quite good (ask me again after taking it underground for a while LOL!).

     

    XTAR+D30+1600+P1070249.jpg

     

    For this project I needed to use a more powerful light than my old TUSA's and I had to have a magnetic switch 

    XTAR+D30+1600+P1070253.jpg

    The front optic/port is coated (can't be seen in this image)

    XTAR+D30+1600+P1070255.jpg

    There is of course a sturdy 1/4 inch 20 tripod mount.

    XTAR+D30+1600+Battery+Charger.jpg

     

    I'd like to see a bigger charger for this type of 26650 battery but the supplied charge does work, one just has to make sure the battery doesn't "jump up" due to the springiness of the charger's contact at the -ve end.

     

    Anyway here is also a link to more details about this light.

    https://hardcorecampingtools.blogspot.com/2020/09/xtar-d30-1600-scuba-divers-video-light.html

     

     

  2. Good review. Thank you for sharing.

    I am looking forward to watching your cave exploring video.

  3. Ok so at long last here is some example footage taken with the XTAR D30 1600. Specifically the UW footage of these cave isopods and amphipods. The environment was tough to film in due to the ease in which the water could be silted up. There is zero light, so the filming was treated as if it was a night dive. This video light with the form factor of a Dive light was easy to use and very robust against knocks on rocks and the mud of the cave. At 10C (water temperature) the light gave me about 2 hours worth of filming (at max 1600 lumens) at around up to 20ec clips before I had to change out the battery. I did note that at some point the battery indictor indicated in the green even after giving me a red signal whilst UW. My guess is that it was very cold and it heated up a bit just being held in my hands (because the air temp was 10C/50F as well). My take here is that it was certainly a robust video light and with the magnetic switch and locking mechanism made it foolproof for the filming in the the cave. Here is a link where one can see some of this footage. Also the color temp was good too and zero flickering from the LED/s. I can't say how it would go at 100m as it only went to about 6-7m in this cave.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_KABK6FJVc

     

    Francis

    Edited by BCT
Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.