Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Securing a Subsee Adaptor

Started by TimG ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Securing a Subsee Adaptor

15 posts
  1. Looking for a bit of advice.....

    I've got the Subsee +10 lens and plan to use it with my Subal FP-FC port for the Nikkor 105mm. I've had it years but only tried it out once. Time to really give it a go!

    I've got the Subsee mount adaptor with a single "flip" arm. The adaptor is the factory-style Subsee with three small screws which tighten the adaptor frame onto the port.

    I can't help but feel less than confident about the security of the adaptor on the port. I've put small amounts of duct tape on the port just to protect the port from the screws; and I've have screwed the adaptor firmly onto the port. But the tolerances for something so heavy (the adaptor plus lens) seem less than ideal and I do wonder whether I'll come up from a dive with no Subsee.

    My paranoia is so great, that I've fitted a small lanyard on to the adaptor to fasten it on to the housing.

    So, what's the general experience out there, guys? Am I worrying about nothing? Or is there a trail of Subsees and adaptors scattered across the ocean floor?

  2. Hi Tim,
    use mine in a no name flip, works fine. No secure items.
    If you use a secure line, fine. Used a cable tie for heavy wide angle adaptors just around, and a small one to fix it on a double side clip.
    You could take some teflon tape, like the one which is used for plumbing to fix the thread more.

     Good luck,
    Wolfgang

  3. I use the double flip adaptor from onderwaterhuis.NL. I think they have a single for Subal.

    I mount a subsee +5 and +10 on it. It is 3d printed and solid enough that I have no fear of losing my lenses.

     

    I never liked the look of the subsee one but have zero experience with it.

  4. OK, thanks chaps!

  5. I too had a flip macro lens holder with 3 screws to hold it in place, but as it tended to get loose, I made my own out of ABS plastic sheet, a short length of 10 cm (4 in) ABS drain pipe, and a 67 mm lens holder, plus a few s.s. screws and ABS cement. ABS is easy to work with, much like wood, ABS glue melts (welds) the parts together, and ABS is of almost neutral weight in the water. This holder has worked well for several years. 
    I built mine with standard hand tools, drill press, adjustable hole drill bit, electric saw, plus supplies from the local plastic and plumbing store. The hinge, shaped like a standard cabinet hinge, was a tad difficult as the holes for the hinge pin were sloppy; I simply filled them with slurpy ABS glue along the pin, with suitable masking, and that solved it. 
    For the diopter I used a 67 to 82 mm step-up ring glued into a suitable hole in the flip lid with ABS/acetone slurp. 
     https://www.amazon.com/Sensei-67mm-Lens-Filter-Step-Up/dp/B00AE1M6NE. 
    To lighten the weight, I drilled as many large holes as I could. 
     
    DSC_2273_resize.JPG.d3460d67858e4654b1d941997b9f05ae.JPG
    This lost Subsee macro lens was found on the bottom of Balayan Bay (Anilao) by Peri Paleracio, who kindly gifted it to me.
     
    DSC_2274_resize.JPG.5d73f0887027249793aeb72410d01d4a.JPG
     
     
    DSC_2275_resize.JPG.52d6b0c46e21e56b1aa0a9cd9955966f.JPG
    The holder is secured with a stainless hose clamp.  The duct tape is to
    protect the Subal port and housing.
     
    Saga also makes a lens holder for Subal, secured by the pressure of an O-ring inside the large ring. getImage.thumb.jpg.765a163075dd999998268bcd3d4a77a6.jpg
    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  6. Clever! 

    How does the Saga one actually fasten on to the port? I’ve seen them on websites but couldn’t work out how it is secured to the port. 

    The idea of building something is quite tempting......  :yahoo:

  7. Hi, Tim:
    I have not handled the Saga holder, but the photos show it uses an O ring as a friction fastening.  Backscatter lists a Saga double flip lens holder for $250 US plus tax and shipping:
    https://www.backscatter.com/SAGA-M67-Double-Flip-Lens-Holder-for-67mm-threaded-Ports

    ReefPhoto has a nice assortment of lens holders, new and used, by Nauticam, Saga, etc:  
    https://reefphoto.com/pages/search-results? diopter+lens+holder&type=product.    Kevin Palmer is most helpful.

    Please keep us posted and best of luck!

     

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  8. Thanks for that. Clever design, KdM.

    So Saga uses an o-ring eh? That doesn't sound hugely secure either? Maybe the one drawback of the Subal FP-FC port is that it isn't threaded.

    Still, where there's a will, there's a way, right......

  9. Is this the item?:  https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/subsee-adapter

    A simple thing you could try is to add some more screws.  You could try to find nylon screws maybe M4 or M5 and drill and tap some additional holes for them in the adapter.  You could crank them down a touch tighter and be less likely for them to move.  You may be able to adapt something to place a clamp around the port to stop it sliding forward, depending how much clearance there is under the arms.  

  10. Interesting. That’s different to my Subsee adaptor, Chris. Mine doesn’t have that cage design but is just flat, sits on the very front edge of the port and has three screws which tighten on to the port lip. 
    The Bluewater one looks much more substantial. Funny, I’ve googled around all over and not seen that design. All bar this have been the Sega (and my Subsee) flat style. 
    Thanks!

  11. 3 hours ago, TimG said:

    Interesting. That’s different to my Subsee adaptor, Chris. Mine doesn’t have that cage design but is just flat, sits on the very front edge of the port and has three screws which tighten on to the port lip. 
    The Bluewater one looks much more substantial. Funny, I’ve googled around all over and not seen that design. All bar this have been the Sega (and my Subsee) flat style. 
    Thanks!

    That's the first one that came up when I searched.  seems much more substantial.

  12. 4 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    That's the first one that came up when I searched.  seems much more substantial.

     Yeah, it sure does. Ive emailed to ask if they have one  for the FP-FC105VR. 
    Maybe  they’re invisible to Duck Duck Go browsers ...... :crazy:

  13. To secure the Subsee adaptor to the Subal FP-FC port I suggest the following:

    Wrap duct tape around the front of the port until the Subsee adaptor fits securely on it. Tighten the three securing screws. 

    Thread a piece of stainless wire between the tape and the port, lengthwise to the port.
    Twist the ends of the wire over the adapter to secure it in place.  Use three lengths of wire, spaced evenly around the port.   

    This way the Subsee will be held in place by its three built in screws, its tight fight over the duct tape and port, and the three wires.  

    Materials: duct tape, stainless wire; tools: wire snips, scissors,  patience.

     

    Edited by Kraken de Mabini
  14. Neat idea! Thanks :good:

  15. This is what mine looks like:

     

     

     

    image.png.e1094a1c6ad0ef21b52b8b5691033165.png

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.