I have a quick question which regard to my housing. I bought a Nauticam housing for Sony RX100 V second hand and it's great, but I've noticed that there is a small spot on the lens port and it seems to be affecting my images. Does anybody have any tips for removing it? I can't imagine it's going to be possible/easy but I'd rather not have to put up with it and have to add loads of extra time in post removing the spot.
Here are a couple of example images to show the problem.
In the vertical photo the problem is to the left of the rope towards the top left of the image and the horizontal photo it's seen just to the left of the diver on the left.
Thanks
That is the camera lens or the port!
Use a grey or white card both in and out of the housing. This will tell you where the spot is located. Additionally, have you examined the sensor?
If it's on the port, have you tried lens cleaner?
If a glass port, you can try Coke or the metal cleaner, Brasso. If an acrylic port, I'll let others chip-in... but you can try lens cleaning fluid for sure.
This looks more like a spot on the lens..Had exactly the same issue Even though the lens has looked clean, it kept showing spots on a brighter, uniform background, like sky or water.
I have used "ZEISS Lens Cleaning Spray" with some microfiber cloth. It did miracles, though I guess other things will also work.
Do not use it on your dome though....alcohol and acrylic (plastic) do not mix well. It can make the surface brittle and cracks may appear. If It's glass its normally ok though (don't remember what RX100V housing has..) Refer to your Nauticam manual
If there are scratches on the (acrylic) dome though, there are polishing kits available. You can read it below. I have used an an Ikelite kit before for that.
Hi,
most important to get an idea if its port or lens.
The camera lens can have a coating, its very important not to harm that!
The lens port, depending if its acrylic or glas needs different care.
So thats the first things to clear, then we can think about getting rid of that spot ;-))
Have cleaned water spots from glas ports takes long, but works.
And again, be sure the portglas is not coated.
Acrylic needs a polish, be very carefull with chemical things!
Best of luck,
Wolfgang
I have used Novus #2 on a glass flat port that had bad water spots that I could not remove any other way. The Mild abrasive and a microfiber cloth cleaned it without scratches.
This looks very much like a particle on the sensor. how big is the spot on the port? the spot will be extremely out of focus on a flat port and would only show up I think if it's a significant size and sharp edged or if you were stopped right down.
It's easy enough to confirm the port is giving you the trouble by taking a shot of a white wall with the same aperture with the camera alone. A waterspot is not going to cause that sort of shadow and they generally disappear UW. it would need some sort of solid particle cemented onto the glass. You should be able to feel it with your fingernail.
As for cleaning you need to be careful but it's not that difficult - unlike a camera lens it's waterproof so you can soak it with cleaner - something like eyeglass cleaner should be fine - that will be fine for either acrylic of glass lenses as most eyeglasses are acrylic. Spray it on generously and leave for a few minutes - but don't let it dry out. Then try a microfibre cloth. You could also try vinegar which may help loosen what ever is cementing the particle on.
As a last resort I would assume the glass in the port is replaceable.
Thanks for your replies guys.
It's definitely on the flat housing port although I can't tell if it's on the inside or the outside. The camera does not show spots when it's out of the housing but does when it is inside.
I think the port is glass but I'm not 100% sure. I also don't have a manual as I bought the housing second hand.
I will try to find a digital manual and use the advice above accordingly and let you know results when I'm done.
Thanks
48 minutes ago, DJash_e said:
Thanks for your replies guys.
It's definitely on the flat housing port although I can't tell if it's on the inside or the outside. The camera does not show spots when it's out of the housing but does when it is inside.
I think the port is glass but I'm not 100% sure. I also don't have a manual as I bought the housing second hand.
I will try to find a digital manual and use the advice above accordingly and let you know results when I'm done.
Thanks
The port is glass. Check with your fingernail if this is a scratch on the outer side. If the housing is not clean soak it then use a Zeiss lens wipe to clean it on inside and outside
If this is scratch it cannot be repair however the port can be replaced by Nauticam