Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Floatation advise - Nauticam A7RIII + 8-15 + 140mm dome port

Started by Namton ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Floatation advise - Nauticam A7RIII + 8-15 + 140mm dome port

6 posts
  1. Hi from Bangkok, Thailand.

    I'm an ameteur underwater photographer (Beginner) but I frequently shoot landscape, panoramic photography and macro ( intraoral dental photographs). After research about housing, strobes and underwater photography technique , I bought my first full system (not include my old gopro4 and sony FDRx3000)

    My gears:

    A7Riii + metabones + 8-15 F4L

    Nauticam housing + port adaptor + extension ring 30 + Nauticam 140 mm fisheye dome port

    Sea & Sea YS-D3 + diffuser + mini flash trigger

    Weefine 2300 focus light x1

     

    I wish I will buy INON mega float M -650g x2 + INON float M -135g x2 

    Total = -1570g

    But I'm not sure it gonna work.

     

    I see a lot photographers use Sony A7 with 8-15 and Nauticam 140 mm dome port. 

    Please advise if you have any suggestions about buoyancy. 

     

    Thanks

    Namton

    Edited by Namton — Change heading
  2. Seeing as how you have all of your gear - assemble it with camera and lens and weigh it hanging off a luggage scale in a tub of water - completely submerged.     Your YS-D3 is listed as -20g underwater (i.e positive bouyancy) and the Weefine light at 240gr  UW.  Add up all of the underwater weights paying attention to the signs and that is the amount of buoyancy you require.  You of course also need clamps etc. which add a little negative buoyancy.   I use a luggage scale - it's good enough just hang the housing off a rope or sling and let it settle and get the weight.  It's best in a tub of water that is deep enough to fully submerge.

    Then select the float arms that add up to close to but not over the weight of your system - you do not want a positively buoyant rig - slightly negative is more stable.  You can use 4 float arms or two float and two regular arms.    INON provide a table of UW weight for all their equipment which may be helpful:  http://www.inon.jp/products/armsystem/weight_table.html

    If I were to guess based upon my system I would say what you selected is too much buoyancy  - but don't guess weigh it and calculate.  It will be about 3% more buoyant in salt water - but that is normally within the margin of error of these calculations.

    If you use the Mega float arms I would recommend long clamps for connecting it to your other arm otherwise they won't be able to fold them to get the two arms parallel and it will limit how close you can get the flash to your housing

  3. 15 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Seeing as how you have all of your gear - assemble it with camera and lens and weigh it hanging off a luggage scale in a tub of water - completely submerged.     Your YS-D3 is listed as -20g underwater (i.e positive bouyancy) and the Weefine light at 240gr  UW.  Add up all of the underwater weights paying attention to the signs and that is the amount of buoyancy you require.  You of course also need clamps etc. which add a little negative buoyancy.   I use a luggage scale - it's good enough just hang the housing off a rope or sling and let it settle and get the weight.  It's best in a tub of water that is deep enough to fully submerge.

    Then select the float arms that add up to close to but not over the weight of your system - you do not want a positively buoyant rig - slightly negative is more stable.  You can use 4 float arms or two float and two regular arms.    INON provide a table of UW weight for all their equipment which may be helpful:  http://www.inon.jp/products/armsystem/weight_table.html

    If I were to guess based upon my system I would say what you selected is too much buoyancy  - but don't guess weigh it and calculate.  It will be about 3% more buoyant in salt water - but that is normally within the margin of error of these calculations.

    If you use the Mega float arms I would recommend long clamps for connecting it to your other arm otherwise they won't be able to fold them to get the two arms parallel and it will limit how close you can get the flash to your housing

    Thanks Mr.ChrisRoss for your good information.

    I will try to weigh my system with luggage scale.

    Many thanks.

  4.  

    For the update,

    I just weigh my setup UW (fresh water)

    A7RIII + 8-15 + extension 30 + 140mm glass dome = 800 g 

    YS-D3 x2  = -50 g 

    weefine 2300 focus light = 250 g

     

    I need Nauticam long clamps x2 , 

    standard clamps x5 

    and Nauticam 125 mm double ball arm x2

     

    Anyone know the weight of each Nauticam clamp and double balll arm underwater? :bye:

     

    However , I think Nauticam diameter 70 x 250 mm carbon fiber floats x2 (buoyancy = 520 g each )

    are the nearest neutral buoyancy for my setup.

     

    Please let me know your thoughts and suggestions. 

    Thanks

    1900226487_ScreenShot2020-10-20at18_32_58.png.0d7699ecca0760b241b1630d62ecb77f.png

    Edited by Namton
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.