Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Diving without a Nauticam valve cap.

Started by hiloboy ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Diving without a Nauticam valve cap.

10 posts
  1. I somehow misplaced my Nauticam vacuum cap while on a diving trip.  I did not realize it until I finished a dive.  My housing remained dry until I relieved the vacuum and although I tried to remove all the water from the exposed vacuum valve, a light mist got on my camera.  I decided to push it and did around five dives with one at 100 feet with no problems.  Maybe I just got lucky!  Since I could not find any reports of people diving without a cap, I thought I would post about my experience.  But please, do this at your own risk and please do blame me if you housing leaks without a cap!

  2. The biggest issue is going to be water inside the valve mechanism the valve getting inside as you noted.  I imagine it's possible when the pressure differential gets high enough that the water pressure could cause the button to depress - but that depends on the design of the valve/button. 

  3. Hi Hiloboy,

    In case it is the "new" Nauticam valve with the (convenient) red push button, this can be very dangerous, better you buy a new cap: you can press the button unintentionally UW and then the entire housing will flood. See here a report, how someone lost his camera by doing so: https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/64549946

     

    Wolfgang

  4. I "lost" my cap for a few days and then ended up finding it. After that scare, I bought some little square stickers from Amazon and did the following:

     

     

    IMG_8106.jpg

    IMG_8107.jpg

  5. That's smart! could you share the amazon link? What did you stick on it?

  6. Thanks! I've used them for quite a few things, actually.

    Below is a link to what I bought. The hardest part was just trying to figure out what to search for. :)

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083416L5L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I'm not sure what you mean by "What did you stick on it?" The zip tie "anchors" that I bought have stickers "built in" on them so I just put it on the vacuum cover and then tied cave line to it.

    Let me know if you want more info or pictures.

    - brett

    IMG_8105.jpg

  7. 8 hours ago, TmxDiver said:

    Thanks! I've used them for quite a few things, actually.

    Below is a link to what I bought. The hardest part was just trying to figure out what to search for. :)

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B083416L5L/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

    I'm not sure what you mean by "What did you stick on it?" The zip tie "anchors" that I bought have stickers "built in" on them so I just put it on the vacuum cover and then tied cave line to it.

    Let me know if you want more info or pictures.

    - brett

    IMG_8105.jpg

    Very helpful, thanks

  8. Side note: I have the backscatter valve pump. What if I forgot my pump on a trip or lost it on a boat for example... is there a way to manually release the air out of housing?

  9. You can use any a toothpick, matchstick or other similar sized tool to depress the Schrader valve in the Backscatter vacuum valves to release pressure.

     

     

  10. On 2/11/2021 at 11:40 AM, adamhanlon said:

    You can use any a toothpick, matchstick or other similar sized tool to depress the Schrader valve in the Backscatter vacuum valves to release pressure.

    Thanks for the respond Adam. Loving the wetpixel live series

     

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.