Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Mould removal SMC-1

Started by JohnVila ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Mould removal SMC-1

8 posts
  1. Morning all - I took my SMC-1 out yesterday and was surprised to find it had mould spots inside the first element which have sprung up in a matter of weeks. My inon wet lenses all fine just this one. Can this element be removed for cleaning? I note two pin holes which could take a lens spanner and it seems it can be unscrewed. I thought these lenses were sealed and thus very surprised to find mould particularly when it is looked after meticulously. I will place it in the sun to kill what is there now.

    With Covid however it is a major exercise to send anything from Vanuatu for repair! Any hints appreciated -- and yes -- I am ordering a dry cabinet - which will take at least 6-8 weeks to get here.

    All the best

    John

     

    IMG_0064 resize.JPG

  2. Very surprised to see mould inside the elements, it needs moisture to get going and it really should be very dry in there if the seals are still good.  I assume you've confirmed it's actually inside. 

    With the right lens spanner it should be relatively straight forward to access the interior, however there would be a risk I think of damaging the o-rings or other seals that are used to keep water out and replacing them might prove difficult. 

    If you were to attempt to disassemble and clean on site, I would suggest seeing if you can source spare seals before starting. 

  3. Hi Chris - definitely inside :-(

     

     

  4. 3 hours ago, JohnVila said:

    Hi Chris - definitely inside :-(

     

     

    crazy!  if you have access to lens spanners a local clean is possible I guess - but like I said see if you can source seals before attempting.  They might be o-rings or something else??  I would think this is bordering on a warranty claim - the environment inside is set at the factory and if it's built properly I can't see how it could get inside.

  5. You bet it is crazy. I could not believe my eyes. Particularly as I have had the smc stored with my other wet lenses with no issue, some of which are 8 years old plus. Always stored dry, meticulously cleaned. Peter Mooney onto it for me so we will see what happens, I have always found Nauticam service to be good.. Big issue is being over here in Vanuatu - freight at the moment is a nightmare, even to get a lens spanner! Cheers

  6. Worth a try of course, but my experience of mould on lenses (camera ones at least) is that once it's on the lens, it can't be removed. It always leaves a mark. It's then an issue of what impact that might have on the image.

    I've lost both a Nikon 60mm and an 80-400 to mould whilst working in the Lembeh Straits. Ouch.

  7. You can kill the mold (usually) with several hours of UV exposure. But killing it isn't getting rid of it. If the mold has been there long, it can secrete acids the can lead to pitting of the glass so killing it should be the first step. I have successfully rebuilt an SMC that had a small leak leading to fogging but you will need the right o-rings as Chris has said.

    Bill

  8. 2 minutes ago, bvanant said:

    You can kill the mold (usually) with several hours of UV exposure. But killing it isn't getting rid of it. If the mold has been there long, it can secrete acids the can lead to pitting of the glass so killing it should be the first step. I have successfully rebuilt an SMC that had a small leak leading to fogging but you will need the right o-rings as Chris has said.

    Bill

    Thanks Bill - have left out in the sun - just packing it now to send back to Nauticam. Cheers

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.