Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon updates D5, D850 and D500 firmware

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon updates D5, D850 and D500 firmware

6 posts
  1. Nikon has updated the firmware for D5. D850 and D500.

    D5: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/320/D5.html

    D850:https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/products/359/D850.html

    D500: https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/383.html

    The principle new feature is the ability to use CF Express cards. While this is, in itself, not perhaps a huge deal in terms of camera performance, it does simplify options when deciding which cards to purchase. I guess the XQD will be going the way of Compact Flash....

    Adam

  2. Hey, some of are still using Compact Flash! Got them in my D5......

  3. Quote

    Hey, some of are still using Compact Flash! Got them in my D5......

    Want to buy some? :)

    More seriously, they are the single biggest cause of camera problems due to the pins bending. Once they bend, it is almost impossible to fix them without a trip to Nikon. XQD/CF Express are a much better solution (although also not perfect...)

  4. 1 hour ago, adamhanlon said:

    Want to buy some? :)

    More seriously, they are the single biggest cause of camera problems due to the pins bending. Once they bend, it is almost impossible to fix them without a trip to Nikon. XQD/CF Express are a much better solution (although also not perfect...)

    Thanks for the offer. I don't need any of your pin benders though :rolleyes:

  5. I still use CF in my D3S and while it is only used for UW shooting now, it was used extensively for sports shooting where rapid removal and downloading was critical in that time sensitive, competitive field where getting your images uploaded and available to editors onsite was often more important than having the best image.

    Over 86,000 actuations and only one bent pin in a card reader and it was easy to resolve. I don't disagree we have better options now and do prefer the dual XQD cards in my D5 over CF but not crazy about the D850 XQD/SD configuration. I prefer the same type of card for both slots. I have no real motivation to get CF Express cards but happy Nikon is providing a firmware update in case I ever want to.

     

    Nikon_D3S_CF_5699_72pi.jpg

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.