Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Black corals and ripping current in Hawaii...

Started by bgreene ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Black corals and ripping current in Hawaii...

9 posts
  1. Black corals, ripping current and strangely geometric geomorphology. Drift dive along the 40-50m ledge system on Thursday with Jason Crowder. Hawaii Kai, Oahu, Hawaii.

    Music: "Beyond" by Ian Post via Artlist.

    ZCAM E2-S6 with Sigma 18-35mm f1.8 lens, in a Nauticam housing with the WACP.  Monitored and recorded with an Atomos Ninja V, also in a Nauticam housing.

     

    Edited by bgreene
  2. I like the mood of this video and also the colours. I thought you were using a red filter @50m then I realized it was the custom WB :rolleyes:

    What's about the housing trim? The camera form factor with an external monitor the whole setup becomes almost higher than longer (like my.GH5).

    Thanks

    P.S.

    I dive the same unit of your friend but he doesn't seem to suffer diving it vertical position:)

     

  3. Hey Davide,

    Yeah, I 3D printed some plastic mounts for trim weights, so I'm not screwing them into the housing repeatedly.  I have 4 mount positions around the base of the housing so I can move the weights to where I want them.  They are low on the housing to keep center of gravity low, and stable.  The weights are 200g and 50g stainless steel counterweights for a topside camera gimbal.   Wetpixel will only allow images up to 1MB, so I put the images in a Google Drive folder.  Let me know if the link works:  

    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1TxhKJGIVor5SbJ9CL_pPBAEjS6EsVjpq?usp=sharing

    Cheers,

    Brian

  4. Hi Brian,

     

    I will do it for you

     

    IMG_2758p.thumb.JPG.04e60909e74906ded645623a90bc3bd2.JPGIMG_2757p.thumb.JPG.6d4c676b85bdd76ef893b2d4ea54fae7.JPGIMG_2760.thumb.JPG.76162a04d552bfb5be7d2af167d4bca3.JPGIMG_2754p.thumb.JPG.1d6b83566d245cf5a08b20eb1d30f8a9.JPG

     

     

    Really a clean and nice work. I would like to copy the idea but on my GH5 setup I have the opposite problem: I have a policarbonate dome port so it tends to rotate "nose up". I had to put an ankle weight on it as a collar and then add a lot of buoyancy on top.

    _DSC6739_2.jpg.b200d201bb02f133cb4844c1cc676ef1.jpg

     

     

    How do you feel with it? Do you like the camera? Which port do you use?

    I know they have a proprietary raw codec. Is it heavy to edit?

    Bye

     

  5. Hey Davide,

    I love it, I'm shooting ProRes Raw to the Atomos Ninja monitor/recorder.  I have the Nauticam WACP and Sigma 18-35mm f1.8.  Very well balanced now with the trip weight system, I can let it go and it sits perfectly level.  Nauticam also make a skids/trim weight system, but I just decided to 3d print my own system.  

    -Brian

  6. Hi @bgreene,

    Can you share also your 3D files ? 

    Thank you in advance !

  7. great to see some underwater video.

  8. White balance seems interesting.. adjusted in post with prores raw, or set in camera? Also, must be a pretty heavy beast once the external recorder and the WACP goes on, which should definitely help with the smoothness. Can it still trim neutral without any external floats?

    Btw, I'm guessing the above video is shot at the wide end of the WACP range? The barrel distortion/quasi-fisheye effect is definitely noticable. I dunno if it's any more pronounced than the WWL-1, but seems similar?

  9. 7 hours ago, dreifish said:

    White balance seems interesting.. adjusted in post with prores raw, or set in camera? Also, must be a pretty heavy beast once the external recorder and the WACP goes on, which should definitely help with the smoothness. Can it still trim neutral without any external floats?

    Btw, I'm guessing the above video is shot at the wide end of the WACP range? The barrel distortion/quasi-fisheye effect is definitely noticable. I dunno if it's any more pronounced than the WWL-1, but seems similar?

    With ProRes RAW you need to either set a custom white balance or set a color temperature. The camera no longer works in auto as it does not keep a dynamic metadata file. You then can edit the color temperature but not the tint

    So at the end when you need to white balance anyway there is limited benefit of ProRes RAW. I have spent a few weeks testing it with the S5 and it is not actually the leap I was hoping to get. It also does not support lens corrections, noise reduction etc so each clips has to go into neat video the moment is a bit dark. The BMPCC and ZCAM however do not have any lens corrections anyway...

    Edited by Interceptor121

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.