Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Coral? / Sponge?

Started by DS256 ·

  • 15Posts
  • 15Replies

Read-only discussion

Coral? / Sponge?

15 posts
  1. I'm stumped at trying to identify this. I originally thought it was a sponge but now suspect it's a coral. However, I can't find a match for either. Thanls

    20160511_110759.jpg

  2. Where was it taken?

  3. Grand Cayman Island; Dive Site - Killer Puffer 

     

  4. Knowing the size would be nice, and the depth. Lacking that, I'd say likely a Star Coral, perhaps a smooth Star. Definitely not a sponge...no outlet holes for the water flow. I don't suppose you possibly touched it to see if it was hard or soft?

  5. Thanks for the answer and the reference Quinn. It was the Orange color that threw me off. The Human/Deloach books I have did not mention there could be an orange variety.

  6. 10 hours ago, tursiops said:

    Knowing the size would be nice, and the depth. Lacking that, I'd say likely a Star Coral, perhaps a smooth Star. Definitely not a sponge...no outlet holes for the water flow. I don't suppose you possibly touched it to see if it was hard or soft?

    It's interesting how confusing identifying some corals and sponges can be. I was leaning to Star Coral as well until Quinn came up with Sponge. 

  7. Your picture does not validate that ID for me. Do you have others?

  8. 5 hours ago, tursiops said:

    Your picture does not validate that ID for me. Do you have others?

    Sorry, that's the only photo.

  9. A closer crop would help - all the pics of black ball sponge in the link show black spots and holes plus striations around each little peak which I can't sea on your pic.  At this magnification it looks more coral like to me.

  10. Trust me, sponge, perhaps a variant of Black Ball, but not a coral.

     Closer view of same type sponge ,seen many times diving waters surrounding island.

     

     

    Aegires gomezi-0126.JPG

    Doto_Unidentified_IMG_9740-Edit.JPG

    HypselodorisRuthae_IMG_9612-Edit.JPG

  11. Thanks for all the help and the making me feel better that I was not the only one having problems with this. Here's a close up shot. I don't see the pores like in Quinn's closeups.

    20160511_110759.jpg

  12. Really? I can see them. .Perhaps not in as much detail but they are there!

  13. Thanks Quinn. I can see some small pores now that you pointed them out. I was looking for your image.

     

  14. Definitely some species of sponge. I'm a coral biologist. If it were a coral you would be able to see small polyps. Even if they were pulled in, the polyp detail would be unmistakeable.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.