Hi there,
I read somewhere (or think I did…) that you wouldn't be able to shoot the full Snell's window on a cropped-sensor camera (e.g. my Nikon D500), even if using a fisheye lens (such as my Tokina 10-17), however you could if using a full frame camera.
Indeed, all the photos I have of Snell's window have some of the circular top-side view cut.
Researching a bit through the topic, Snell's window is a physical phenomenon that appers, below the surface to be a disc seen with a 97 degrees angle.
So, to fully record it on a camera sensor, one would need a 97 degrees coverage not on diagonal, but on the shorter dimension of the sensor. Intuition tells me there are not lots of lenses/camera combos that would allow this (if any).
All-in-one, my questions are:
1/ what are the Lens/Cameras/Domes combinations allowing to capture the full disc of the Snell window on a single photo?
2/ I am reading the Snell window is only visible a few meters below the surface, due to light absorption. Would this depend on how clear the water is? I am going to dive a freshwater spot soon with crazy lots of viz (40+ meters I am told), so wondering if Snell's window might get visible at depth.
Cheers
Nicolas