Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon D800 Housing - flash visible? Meikon?

Started by Boue ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon D800 Housing - flash visible? Meikon?

5 posts
  1. Hello,

    I do a lot of snorkeling, and are looking for an affordable underwater housing for my Nikon D800E, for shallow water use (to 10m) with my 105mm macro lens.

    I am considering the Meikon model sold on ebay (PRO 60m 195ft Underwater Waterproof Housing Case for Nikon D800 105mm F2.8 Lens - PRO 60m 195ft Underwater Waterproof Housing Case for Nikon D800 105mm F2.8 Lens | eBay). 

    A few questions about this please:

    • Does this housing allow me to use the pop up flash on my D800E? (I'd like to be able to trigger other external Nikon flash units from my built in flash, so whilst it doesn't need to be able to illuminate the scene, the flash must be visible).

    • I have also seen an older Ikelite Nikon D800 housing, but looking at the size I presume the flash wouldn't work in this?

     

    • Any other advice from the amazing users on this forum?

    Thank you

     

  2. Based on housing photo you provided you should be able to trigger external flashes via 2 available optical ports.

  3. Yeah, looks to me as though there is sufficient space in the housing to allow the camera flash to pop-up - especially when you look at the images of the housing interior. Lots of space above where the camera pentaprism would sit. Looks to me like there is space for the pop-up strobe or an OEM trigger if you wanted to go that route.

    It'd be a bit odd if the manufacturer hadn't designed it that way. I would imagine lots of D800 users initiate fibre optic strobes using the camera's built-in flash.

    Edited by TimG
  4. Thank you

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.