Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma MC-11 vs. Metabones v5

Started by TmxDiver ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma MC-11 vs. Metabones v5

10 posts
  1. For a Sony camera body (both a6400 and a7rIV) and either a Canon 8-15mm FE or the Tokina 10-17mm FE, which adapter would you recommend and why?

    I've watched a few videos on the pros/cons of each, but they are based on topside photography. The basic take-away from those is that if you are going to shoot with a Sigma lens on the Sony body, get the Sigma adapter (makes sense). Otherwise, get the Metabones v5.

    The Metabones is more expensive but if the price difference ($250) weren't an issue, which would you pick and why?

    - brett

  2. I use an MC-11. I got it used for $100, and updated it via Sigma's software, and it's flawless.

  3. 17 hours ago, DorsetBunkers said:

    Not wanting to hijack the post, but I'd not heard of anyone successfully running the Tokina 10-17mm on the mc-11 adapter?

    I'm looking to mount that lens on my sony a6000 but all the successful pairings with the sony mount I have found seemed to use the metabones adapter? (Would love to be corrected on this).

    http://www.divephotoguide.com/underwater-photography-special-features/article/sony-e-mount-lenses-for-underwater-photography-part-2-fisheye/

    I use my MC-11 with a Tokina 10-17 on a Sony A6100. Works perfectly.

  4. Oh really? That's interesting, do you mind me asking what housing/dome you have it in?

    Also, any chance you could share some pics you've taken with it?

    Thanks, Jon

  5. 20 hours ago, DorsetBunkers said:

    Oh really? That's interesting, do you mind me asking what housing/dome you have it in?

    Also, any chance you could share some pics you've taken with it?

    Thanks, Jon

    Currently in a Seafrogs housing with a 6" dome, Likely moving to Nauticam with their 4.33" dome.

    Haven't had the chance to dive it yet though (damn pandemic). 

    So only pics I have are topside. I've owned this lens for a long time and it shoots on my A6100/MC11 as it does on a native Canon DSLR.

  6. Ah, sorry mate, just realised I've messaged you on scubaboard too, please ignore that one. That's a shame, was really wondering how practical it was underwater, yeah C-19 has a lot to answer for! Glad to hear the 10-17mm works on the mc-11 though.

    Hopefully we can all get back in soon.

  7. 17 hours ago, Lewis88 said:

    Currently in a Seafrogs housing with a 6" dome, Likely moving to Nauticam with their 4.33" dome.

    Haven't had the chance to dive it yet though (damn pandemic). 

    So only pics I have are topside. I've owned this lens for a long time and it shoots on my A6100/MC11 as it does on a native Canon DSLR.

    Hello, the Seafrog housing for the Sony A6100 with Tokina 10-17 mm lens and Sigma MC11 adapter have a zoom gear for the Tokina 10-17 mm lens?

    Thanks

  8. 3 hours ago, Pedro said:

    Hello, the Seafrog housing for the Sony A6100 with Tokina 10-17 mm lens and Sigma MC11 adapter have a zoom gear for the Tokina 10-17 mm lens?

    Thanks

    There is no zoom gear for the tokina. I have designed and 3d printed my own zoom gear for the lens, but have been unable to test it so far. 

  9. 15 hours ago, DorsetBunkers said:

    Ah, sorry mate, just realised I've messaged you on scubaboard too, please ignore that one. That's a shame, was really wondering how practical it was underwater, yeah C-19 has a lot to answer for! Glad to hear the 10-17mm works on the mc-11 though.

    Hopefully we can all get back in soon.

    No worries! I was wondering if you were the same person! 

    I'll answer your zoom gear question from SB. There is no native zoom gear. I have been working on a design for a 3d printed zoom gear, and have gone through many revisions. I think I finally have one that will work, but I need to order some hardware and then test topside. 

    Now that I plan to upgrade to Nauticam, I have kinda stopped development on the gear for now. Here is the last update: Sea Frogs Salted Line A6XXX - Zoom Gears | ScubaBoard

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.