Skip to content

Copyright Issues, Non-Payment, Fraud, Theft / Archived topic

New scam method on eBay

Started by mark_426 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

New scam method on eBay

8 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I’ve been shopping around for a camera upgrade, and came across a new scam method on eBay. 

    I bought an item, and the seller almost immediately added shipping information. To my surprise, the item showed it was already delivered to my zip code, two days prior. 

    I tried to immediately contact the seller, but they didn’t answer. 

    Within an hour, I got a notification that there was a problem with my transaction - and the message seemed like I initiated the issue (I did not). I’ve been an eBay member a long time, so I immediately contacted eBay concierge by phone. 

    While I was on the phone, and the agent was trying to figure out what was going on, the seller escalated the case to eBay for review. eBay quickly came back and said since there was tracking information, and the item was delivered, they decided the case in the seller’s favor, and I wasn’t eligible for a refund (!!!).

    Fortunately, the agent on the phone saw this and heard my story, while it was all unfolding. She was able to reverse the decision, and flag the seller’s account. 

    Buyer beware. If the seller waited a few days, I might’ve had a much more difficult  case to argue! 

  2. Ok that's worrying, thanks for sharing! I tend to buy from time to times on eBay and was lucky to avoid that!

    - Was it a cross border sale?

    - Did the member have high reputation?

    Any flags or recommendations from your eBay concierge on how to avoid this going forward?

    Thanks

     

     

     

     

     

    Edited by waterpixel
  3. US seller, California based, I believe. 

    No, it was less than ten, but not zero. They had a few other inexpensive used items for sale that looked legitimate, and the price wasn’t “too good to be true.” 

    Nothing really from concierge on avoiding it, they seemed somewhat surprised as it was happening. From me, I’d just say go for sellers with good feedback records between time and count, and stay on top of the email updates. 

  4. Did you check the tracking info, you would have to think that would be hard to falsify, unless you clicked a link taking you to a fake site to get to it.

  5. I have only ever used PayPal to buy from eBay. Is it possible to use a credit card directly on eBay and get buyer protection that way?

  6. i use CC attached to my paypal and feel like its double protection, but admitedly, never tested the waters as i've been lucky enough not to be scammed

     

  7. On 1/15/2021 at 10:14 AM, mark_426 said:

    Hi all,

    I’ve been shopping around for a camera upgrade, and came across a new scam method on eBay. 

    I bought an item, and the seller almost immediately added shipping information. To my surprise, the item showed it was already delivered to my zip code, two days prior. 

    Wouldn't this cause a date discrepancy between date shipped and credit card charge date?

     

  8. I have heard about this very issue-the seller somehow get a legitimate shipper delivered note. Not sure how but a firen has had this happen as well,In his case if I recall it was fedx shipment -was your USPS ?

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.