How to show what it would have looked like without flash?
Hi all
I have somehow been talked into doing a slideshow of my diving pics after a dinner next week. I have 15 minutes. It's a gathering of a professional society (of actuaries), and I'm part of the entertainment. I think it's the first of a series of "what actuaries get up to when they're not exercising their professional judgement" talks. (No need for any smart comments, thanks! Let's keep the board clean.)
There's no particular reason to suppose the average actuary here knows anything much about diving. It's all very well showing pics of all sorts of things, but I'd also like to point out that some of these gorgeous critters don't look so brilliantly coloured in natural light. However, I have no good examples of natural light (with or without approriate white balance) vs flash exposure of the same scene. I'd particularly like to be able to point out that some things which show up brilliantly in the pictures are really hard to spot in natural light.
I tried reducing the red channel in photoshop, but I didn't seem to get what I wanted. Maybe I was doing it wrong. Or maybe it's impossible to give an accurate impression of what things look like in conditions of very low red light levels, but with the eyes adapted to those conditions.
Does anybody have a reliable method of doing this, suitable for a not-very sophisticated Photoshop user such as myself? I'm willing to mess around for a while adjusting settings, but I don't yet know which controls I need to play with.
Any thoughts appreciated.
Thanks
-David