9 hours ago, sharkbytesmatt said:
Hey there!
I just picked up the canon R6 and would love to get it underwater on my shark dive coming up in august. I currently used the 7d mark ii in an ikelite so I’m familiar with that brand but I’m curious what the thoughts are for Nimar and others that are available.
What is the best RF lens for underwater right now? Should I stick with EF and use an adapter?
Thanks for the help in advance!
I cannot contribute much - Since I am considering to acquire an additional system, I read posts in different photography forums on the new mirrorless cameras and the performance of adopted lenses of the old systems (no new mirrorless system has, at the moment, enough lens choice of native lenses):
Normally adopting lenses with adapter, even from the same company, slows down AF. This is the case with Sony and especially Nikon (there is a tread in this forum that the Tokina 10-17mm fisheye does even not work with the new Z bodies). Generally the slowed down AF (in case it works) is not so much a problem with WA(?) and fisheye lenses, but becomes a real problem with longer focal ranges macro lenses...
Adopting Canon EF lenses to RF mount cameras seems to be an exception, there are many, many treads and tests in the internet where users state that their (modern) EF-lenses work better and focus faster on the new RF bodies, especially R6 and R5, when compared to performance on the original DSLR bodies for which the lenses have been designed for (the dual pixel AF system of Canon seems to be the most advanved technology at present; The CAF systems of Panasonic or Nikon cannot compete). Look here, just as an example, there are many more similar treads/reports in the internet:
https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4547484
As far as I am concernded, I think I will go with Canon and use the EF lenses I already have (8-15mm fisheye; 100mm Macro IS L). I expect them to work at least as good as if they were native on a EF DSLR body, but this still has to be shown...
Wolfgang