5 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:
The Sony FE 50mm F/2.8 macro uses an n100 32mm flat port with an N100 40mm extension and at life size the lens sits just inside the port glass so you can take full advantage of shooting at 1:1 but very close to the subject. The lens is better suited to animals in the 1:2 and larger range. The lens is both slow and noise so not ideal for video. Image quality is tack sharp and you can use the focus limiting feature to reduce the distance the lens needs to travel. Focus limit allows you to shoot in the 1:1 to about 1:4 or about 6 to 7 inch range. This takes a lot of getting use to and you may be better off at 1:1 to infinity to start. Smaller subjects like the attached crab photo are best for subject size. I much prefer the Sony FE 90mm F/2.8 macro especially for macro and super macro with closeup lenses like Nauticam SMC- 1 & 2
Hi Phil, thanks for your info, appreciated. Some of the Seahorses here (Perth, Australia) are on the taller side (10cm ish) and I would compare that with the size of the crab. Compared with the 90mm this lens would get me closer to the subject, which is what I'm looking for. I'm happy to use MF/DMF and Focus Tracking, that works for me most of the times, except if there is to much surge. Agree with the 90mm lens for macro/super macro. ;-)
5 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:
I would also add that I have the AEL push button on my Nauticam NA-A7RIV housing set to switch between full frame and APS-C. This means that with the 50mm macro I can switch to APS-C for more distance to the subject (APS-C becomes a 75mm). In APS-C I still get a 26MP file which is larger than most APS-C cameras.
Yes, I use the same, but for to get the extra magnification, if I want (I know, could just crop the larger full frame picture).
5 hours ago, Phil Rudin said:
I should have the new port and zoom gear for the Sony FE 28-60mm in house in time for a review at uwpmag.com issue for May/June 2021. I may also have a review for the Nauticam A7c housing at that time. The new Nauticam NA-A7C housing has posted on the Nauticam web page if anyone is interested. This is a 24MP full frame camera with a housing the size of the A6600 housing.
Very interesting to hearing about this, as this seems to be as well a good option for this purpose.
Thanks Phil, good info for me to think about. With the price of both lenses not being astronomical, they both might be good options. Just need to look into port configurations (thanks for the info on this) as (obviously) want to try to keep the number of ports/extension rings to a minimum. Cheers!!
- Y