Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Potato, spit and Pledge

Started by PeteAtkinson ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Potato, spit and Pledge

9 posts
  1. I know this has been discussed endlessly. I hadn't tried potato as a wetting agent until recently (thanks Alex Mustard) and it seemed to work well on a glass 9" dome. Today I tried potato on an 8.5" acrylic dome and it worked poorly; the wetting properties disappeared quickly.

    I have used spit as a wetting agent in the past, and also Rainex and Lemon Pledge as beading agents.

    For acrylic what are your favourite remedies for over/under droplets?

  2. Spit seems to work well for my 8.5" acrylic - however, it won't work where there are small scratches at all, water will accumulate there.

    I'm not sure if spit pre--dive and post-dive has the same effect though, I'd guess post-dive is more :sick:

     

  3. I also have a 8-9" acrylic dome. I utilize over/under splits with it all the time. In the beginning, I did not have water droplet issues applying a little spit before dives. Now spit does not work. Like you, I found the potato did not work at all on acrylic. I know Rain-X is a no-no for acrylic and I would never use. As acrylic ages, guessing this causes the drops to gather on the small unseen crevices. I'm curious though if buffing with Novus 1 would help that (?)

    Recently, I found a product that will not hurt acrylic and works fairly consistently and as long as you apply it before every dive:

    Sea Gold Anti-Fog Gel for dive mask.

    https://www.diversdirect.com/p/sea-gold-scuba-mask-defog?gclid=CjwKCAjwoNuGBhA8EiwAFxomA3t7gvbuqpZGFXOk7FstFegBmL0DSkIjyhR6T8kDvgW1ej4pFDf_hRoClgoQAvD_BwE

    Give it a try and let me know if it works for you.

    Other than that, retailers keep telling me you have go with glass. I love glass, but that is an expensive test for consistent split shots.

     

     

    Sea&Sea MDX housing
    Canon 5d MarkIV
    Sigma 15mm fisheye

  4. I have used Rainex on cast acrylic domes before without any problems, but now I am using Pledge Lemon furniture polish as a beading agent and it works well. David Doubilet has recommended this for years!

  5. Baby shampoo! Works well for me for about 20-30 minutes, then need to do it again

  6. hey guys i have had also isuues but with glass domes no matter if i use rain x, give it a spit or use the dunking technique i always have a drop on my glass.... Would lemon pledge lemon furniture work for glass too?

  7. I don't think Pledge will be any better than Rain-X. A cut potato worked quite well with a 9" glass dome (thanks Alex Mustard) as a wetting agent, so requires the pre-shot dunk. Spit works well with acrylic.

  8. Thank you @PeteAtkinson i ll try the pototo wedge if not i ll use a potato bass fin :D what about baby shampoo ? antifog?

     

     

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.