Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Small Blenny ID - Western Pacific

Started by mandarinfish ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Small Blenny ID - Western Pacific

5 posts
  1. Small Blenny ID - Western Pacific

    In my search for the freckle faced blenny in the Solomon Islands last month, I encountered this blenny in the surge zone:

     

    040924_10.jpg

     

    It was about 5cm in length, but I have no photos of the body. The closest ID I've seen is the Delicate Blenny (Glyptoparus delicatulus). Anyone have better ideas?

     

    Thanks!

  2. Hi Linda -- I noticed your blenny shot last week & spent some time trying to put a name on it. Failed miserably.... just couldn't match it to anything in my books or on the web. I don't think it's Glyptoparus delicatulus as the head appendages aren't the same, the coloring's diferent, and the mouths are different. Genera like Blenniella or Istiblennius looked better but I ended up leaving it as blenny unidentified. Let's hope a blenny expert will take a look at it! Good luck, Leslie

  3. blue spotted blenny?

  4. Which blue-spotted? Blenniella caudolineata? The facial pattern is different & it has a distinctive head fin that Linda's little guy doesn't seem to have ( at least it doesn't show). Marli's awfully good with fish ids; maybe she can put a name to this. Otherwise Linda's just going to have to go back for some more pics!

    Leslie

  5. Thanks Leslie and Sugar, for taking the time! Blenniella and Istiblennius are good leads; at least I can get a little further in the search that way. But, it's awfully hard to compare my photo with those I'm finding, of umm... dead specimens.. I know I don't have enough showing of him to make a good identification. It's possible it is a juvenile phase as well, I guess.

     

    I will keep looking... Thanks!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.