What are good color choices for a model's BC? I dive in Monterey, CA, which is cold water with not-so-great visibility. Let's assume the diver is poorly lit, because I'm an absolute beginner with underwater photography and don't have great gear. I've seen so many photos of divers in all black, and they just look like floating black blobs.
Since red and orange get filtered out first at depth, I'm thinking that bright blue might stand out a bit. I'm looking at Halcyon gear and they offer custom colors. Their "Mariner Blue" could be a good choice. Picture attached. They also offer reflective tape, but I'm thinking that would mess up photos. Thoughts?
I'd say no to the reflective tape, it tends to blow out on images and be very distracting. I would have thought that blue would blend in with the blues and greens underwater. Yellows and reds will at least have colour contrast with the blue/green of the water background.
Interesting post - thanks!
I wonder to what extent it depends on the role of the model in the image?
If the model is there to show a human in the depths with the key element being colourful reef or fish, I'd suggest the model is best in all black and aim to get the best exposure possible on the face - so a mask with transparent sides and no central frame.
If it's an image of a diver underwater, I'd be looking to compliment the colours of the model with the gear etc. Note the model's eye colour and the like. In all cases though you don't want the gear colour to be a distraction. Is the image about the model (the reef?) or the gear? As Chris suggests, not tape. I think I'd say not a coloured BC either. Go with black and use other smaller elements to draw out the important colours. But know what colours you want to draw out in the first place.
Quote
I would have thought that blue would blend in with the blues and greens underwater. Yellows and reds will at least have colour contrast with the blue/green of the water background.
Ah, yes. Good point. Not much contrast with the background if I went with blue.
Quote
I wonder to what extent it depends on the role of the model in the image?
I'm thinking of underwater portraiture. The goal is to show the diver primarily, and the reef secondarily. Kind of like, "Hey look at me I'm doing something adventurous!"
I started thinking about BC colors, etc., after reading that single lens masks make for better portraits than dual lens masks. It seems equipment choices can make for better or worse pictures.
22 minutes ago, SaltyFlippers said:
I started thinking about BC colors, etc., after reading that single lens masks make for better portraits than dual lens masks. It seems equipment choices can make for better or worse pictures.
Yep, single lens masks are much better as they don't hide the models face in the way that double lens do. You can find on the market the old fashioned 1960s style oval masks with a metal band around the front. They're even better although they create a slightly old-school look.
Worth thinking about the model's wetsuit colour too (and accessories) and the impact of his/her hair colour on that.
Generally speaking, I would try to get equipment with some contrasting colors, and that does not have overly bright and/or reflective areas. In ambient, you will some contrast to see details. In flash, you want to avoid huge dynamic range issues that come from a highly-reflective area being stitched up next to the typical neoprene black hole. It's also useful to have some sort of color balance target attached to the BCD, though I generally find the black or metal bits of dive equipment is pretty good for setting color temp.
Depending on what you are doing and how many are involved, it might be useful to have an identifying number on the BCD as well.