|
|
Trip Reports and Travel / Archived topic
Started by Ken Kurtis ·
Read-only discussion
|
|
Greatly enjoyed your writeup and stills/video. And appreciated your comments about Covid as a good data point.
Any issues with getting camera gear through customs at Cabo San Lucas?
6 hours ago, davec13o2 said:Any issues with getting camera gear through customs at Cabo San Lucas?
Thanks for the kind words. The answer to your question is "No, but . . ."
They were definitely on the hunt. They were asking everyone, before you push the red/green light button, what was in your bags. I replied "Scuba gear." They immediately asked if I had cameras. I said yes. they asked if I had big housings. I truthfully - but incompletely - said, "I have a GoPro." They said, "OK" and I pushed the button (which was green). End of story for me.
I had warned all of our folks about the issue and I did hear the next day (two of our people came in a day after the main group) that there was a guy who had camera gear and was either singled out or got a red light who was arguing with them about it. Now, apparently what they wanted to ding her for was $40. I could live with that. (In fact, I had two $50 bills stashed in my pocket just in case I need to provide some . . . encouragement . . . to pass through.)
So it's still wrong, but $40 is a far cry from the stories we were hearing of $1,000 a year or so ago. Don't know if that's still happening. All I can say is that this is what our experience was.
- Ken
Thank you so much for the great trip report. Now my question is- what was the food like on the boat? I am heading there shortly...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
6 hours ago, Drwatson said:Now my question is- what was the food like on the boat?
I'd say the range was good+ to excellent. No real complaints. And what a number of us became addicted to were the mugs of hot spiced apple cider offered post-dive and as a drink option at meals. Yummy!!!
I'd say the range was good+ to excellent. No real complaints. And what a number of us became addicted to were the mugs of hot spiced apple cider offered post-dive and as a drink option at meals. Yummy!!!
Ken,
Really nice writeup, vid and images. I don't see any tech specs. I have a crop sensor D500 and I've seen recommendations from just bring a Tokina 10-17 fisheye to 10-20 Rectilinear as well as a Sigma 17-70mm.
What are your thoughts after being there?
Oops, I did see your setup listed.
17 minutes ago, WanderingBob said:Really nice write-up, vid, and images.
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the kind words. As you now know, I shoot a D750. I am personally NOT a fan of wide/wide angle or close-focus wide angle. I did 18 dives over five days on this trip. I shot 18-35 on one dive, used my GoPro (various POVs) on 5 dives, and used my beloved discontinued Nikon 28-105 on 12 dives. So much of what you saw still-pix was 28-105 at various zoomed in or out focal lengths. All post-processing done in Lightroom-6.
1 minute ago, Ken Kurtis said:
Ken,
Thanks for the quick reply.
When I bought my first Nikon in 2001, I'm pretty sure my first lens was the 28-105. I stopped using it because I didn't like the "screw" zoom (not sure what you call it). I was shooting topside exclusively for a few years and with a polarizer, it drove me nuts! I can surely see it's value underwater from your images.
How often do you shoot at the long end?
I did a 2 month trip to S.E. Asia last year. Started using 10-17 and 105 ... then eventually started using the 17-70, because it covers most bases, but not tack sharp. Could shoot most anything I ran into. Really held it's own for threshers in Malapascua.
Bob
On 4/9/2021 at 10:26 PM, WanderingBob said:How often do you shoot at the long end?
Depends on where I am and what I'm shooting. On this trip, mostly 28-100. There was a colorful Leather bass I was shooting at 66mm. then a manta came by and headed right for me and I got him at 28mm. But maybe I'm in Bonaire and I shoot a Tarpon at 28mm but then turn around and find a seahorse and shoot it at 105mm. Very versatile lens (and from 50-105 will shoot 1:1 macro at close-focus).
Terms of Use Privacy Policy Guidelines We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.