1 minute ago, Phil Rudin said:
The New Sony A7c and A-1 cameras can be set toTracking-on + AF-On. This can be set to the AF-0n button which works with the thumb level on the back of the housing. Under focus Area Limit you can chose from one to fourteen different types of focus areas, I have chosen three for the purpose of testing. I can then depress the FN button and set say focus wide. This gives me an array of little dancing green boxes that select something I point towards in the frame. If I want to lock focus and drag the AF point around the frame for compassion I just press the thumb focus and the tracking box locks on and can be moved around the frame. This way I can shoot using the normal preset focus for the shutter release or switch to tracking with the thumb lever. This eliminates the issue of trying to remember which trigger will acquire AF.
But, you still have to remember whether you want to use thumb AF or forefinger AF, right? I don't see how it changes having to remember which trigger does what. It just changes it (versus what I described) from 2 different thumb options to 1 thumb and 1 forefinger option, doesn't it?
What you're describing for how the AF-On button/thumb lever on the housing is exactly how my setup (described above) works. The camera is set to Focus Area of Spot w/Tracking, so I can do exactly as you described - press the thumb lever to lock focus and then let the AF point move around the screen as I recompose.
Or, instead of using the thumb lever, I can press and hold the AEL button with my thumb to acquire AF using Zone mode (or Wide, if I wanted to change my programming to that). With the Focus Mode set to AF-C, holding down the AEL button keeps the focus locked on whatever Zone mode decides to focus on, for as long as I hold the button down. When I let go of the AEL button, the camera goes back to Spot/Tracking mode, which I can lock on by going back to the thumb lever.
From what I can tell, what you described and what I described give the same capabilities and both require remembering which button/lever does which type of focus. But, the method you described eliminates the possibility that you could set the focus ahead of time and then hit the shutter release (multiple times even) without affecting where the focal plane is, correct?
What you gain is that you never have to worry about forgetting to focus. If you forget to press a back button, when you hit the shutter release, you'll at least get an automatic focus on whatever Wide mode grabs before the shutter releases. Whereas, if I forget to hit one of the back buttons, I'll get an image focused on whatever distance I had it focused for previously.