Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Kelvin and/or manual white balance for video

Started by LoriAnnKru ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Kelvin and/or manual white balance for video

3 posts
  1. I’m considering buying the Nikon Z6ii. I’m having trouble figuring out how to handle white balancing for video. It appears to me (from the manual and videos online) that I can do a manual white while in manual photo mode, then switch to video mode and use the manual white balance set in photos. Is that a legitimate way to handle it?

    I also see you can set the Kelvin temperature. I have Sola 3800s and can’t find documentation of the Kelvin temperature. Since the light also has 3 levels of brightness, would each level have a different Kelvin? 

  2. If the lights are any good, they should have the same WB at all brightness levels. I guess you could check this by photographing  a colour checker and measuring the WB on the computer (set auto WB in Lightroom or similar). Than set that as the WB for the lights in the future. Make sure your lights are the only light source in a dark room when you do the test.

    Setting WB in photo mode and then having to swap back to video sounds horrible, but I wouldn't say it is out of the realm of possibility. Some Camera companies make us jump through incredible hoops to get our WB set up. I'm not familiar with Nikon or the Z7 so maybe someone else knows more. 

  3. 11 hours ago, LoriAnnKru said:

    I’m considering buying the Nikon Z6ii. I’m having trouble figuring out how to handle white balancing for video. It appears to me (from the manual and videos online) that I can do a manual white while in manual photo mode, then switch to video mode and use the manual white balance set in photos. Is that a legitimate way to handle it?

    I also see you can set the Kelvin temperature. I have Sola 3800s and can’t find documentation of the Kelvin temperature. Since the light also has 3 levels of brightness, would each level have a different Kelvin? 

    The Nikon cameras have some issues in video and lack most of the exposure tools you will need. I recommend you consider something different unless you have already planned for an external monitor

    The Sola are daylight temperature around 5.5K typically as this is in the range of the camera auto white balance it is not essential to set it

Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.