Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

PowerShot G1X mark III vs RX100 V

Started by robotr0n ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

PowerShot G1X mark III vs RX100 V

3 posts
  1. Hey everybody, 

    I've currently got a PowerShot G1X mark III with the Canon housing. All I'd need would be the addition of 4K video to the G1X mark III and I'd have my perfect underwater camera. Unfortunately, it seems unlikely that Canon will ever update the G1X at this point. P&S cameras are becoming a rarer sight outside of the underwater photo community. So I've been thinking about going down the Sony route. Almost all of my underwater footage is wide angle stuff, so I don't think the new lens on the RX100 VI and VII would help. That's why I've been looking into getting the RX100 V. 

    I really enjoy the benefits of the APS-C sensor in the G1X mark III. During post processing I frequently push my images quite a bit. So I'm concerned that that's going to be an issue with the RX100 V's smaller sensor. Has anybody used the two cameras and can provide some insights into how they compare? 

    -robotr0n

  2. Consider the white balance issues on the Sony cameras, they have been difficult to custom white balance as the colour temperature had been limited to 10,000K, which was not enough to achieve WB, newer models may be improved, but the RX-100V is limited to 9900K.  Canon has been the king of UW WB and Olympus and Panasonic are pretty close. 

    The new RX-100 lenses mean you need to use the short port for wet lenses to work well, which limits zoom to 67mm equivalent - if you go over that and hit the port the lens throws an error and needs to restart the camera.

    The Canon sensors in APS-C are really quite close in performance to the best m43 sensors these days.  When you say you push your images - in what way and why?  If you compare sensors in DXO the Canon 77D (similar vintage to the G1-X III) Olympus EM-1 mkII and Panasonic GH5.  If you want to stick with a compact you could look at the LX-10/15 from Panasonic.

  3. 2 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:

    Consider the white balance issues on the Sony cameras, they have been difficult to custom white balance as the colour temperature had been limited to 10,000K, which was not enough to achieve WB, newer models may be improved, but the RX-100V is limited to 9900K. 

    AFAIK, the 9900K limitation was removed in RX100VA.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.