10 hours ago, ChrisRoss said:
I am starting to see reports that some newer camera models are doing a reasonable job using TTL on wide angle shooting and this seems to be camera specific, which to me makes sense. The camera is what decides the ambient/flash balance.
One of the bigger issues with TTL is repeatability - each shot the camera calculates a balance between the ambient and flash exposure and it may change with each frame if the subject size, orientation and framing change from one exposure to the next.
Exactly the point. Newer cameras - possibly in conjunction with the latest TTL-capable flash triggers - may possibly do a much better job than older cameras.
I don't know about other or older cameras, but I know that my camera has a Spot metering mode and a setting to lock the spot where it meters to the spot where the camera is focused. So, in theory, I can use a Focus Area of Spot w/Tracking, and lock onto the shark's eye. Then, the camera can use TTL control for the strobes to meter the exposure specifically for that area of the shark's head.
On paper, that seems like it would work pretty well.
As for repeatability - I'll flip that one back to you. The point is having strobe metering for a dynamic environment, where the conditions ARE changing from moment to moment. So, I would not want repeatability in the sense of the same exposure and strobe settings on every shot. I WANT the strobe power to change (in a "smart" way) as the subject distance/size, orientation, and framing changes.
1 hour ago, Alex_Mustard said:
The issue that is not mentioned enough - relating to this - is that the strobe position for both of these scenarios is very different.
Just having the right strobe power is not all you need to change. We need a TTL-auto-strobe positioning control, that looks for uneven lighting or too much backscatter and moves your strobes as well as changing the powers!
Totally understood. But, I am much more likely to be able to reach out and quickly tweak a strobe's position, while maintaining my ability to capture the moment than I am to reach out and quickly adjust my strobes' power quickly.
in other words, it's clearly not ideal to use TTL to control strobe exposure, for shooting a subject swimming by - from far to near to far again. But, it also seems much better (at least, potentially) than trying to shoot a subject swimming by using fully manual strobe control.
Have any of you actually done any experimenting personally with shooting with TTL for strobe exposure control, using fiber optic triggering? (I mean to sort of leave out discussion of older systems and older tech, and try to concentrate on current stuff that the average enthusiast might buy today)