Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Wetpixel Live: Muck Photography Primer

Started by adamhanlon ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Wetpixel Live: Muck Photography Primer

11 posts
  1. Muck diving is a genre of diving in areas where the fascinating inhabitants live in areas that are not especially beautiful or photogenic. @Alex_Mustard and @adamhanlon chat about it and outline the techniques and equipment that are needed to photograph amazing creatures in less than perfect environments

     

  2. 11:15 - invader!

  3. Do you carry a muck stick for additional stability? 

  4. 24 minutes ago, helgromite said:

    Do you carry a muck stick for additional stability? 

    No need if you’ve got your buoyancy right

  5. 39 minutes ago, helgromite said:

    Do you carry a muck stick for additional stability? 

    Adam and I don't typically use them. But lots of photographers definitely find them a big benefit. Well worth trying.

  6. 1 hour ago, Alex_Mustard said:

    11:15 - invader!

    Star of the show!

  7. 1 hour ago, Alex_Mustard said:

    Adam and I don't typically use them. But lots of photographers definitely find them a big benefit. Well worth trying.

    I sold dozens of them at the Lembeh resort I managed. But the good photographers didn't have them......   :P

    I guess if a diver's buoyancy skills aren't up to it, it's better than smashing up the reef. But then I'm tempted to say if buoyancy skills aren't up to it they shouldn't be using a serious camera. But that's probably being excessively sniffy, right? :rolleyes:

     

     

  8. I have good enough buoyancy to go without but it’s still more comfortable to use one. I’ve done muck diving with and without a stick and I really think that it’s just a matter of preference. Some people surely use it in place of good buoyancy but I wouldn’t assume that’s the reason everyone who is using one is using it for. 
     

    Also if there is a little current all the buoyancy skills in the world won’t help you stay in place, but you can easily anchor yourself in the sand with a stick. 

  9. 47 minutes ago, hyp said:

    Also if there is a little current all the buoyancy skills in the world won’t help you stay in place, but you can easily anchor yourself in the sand with a stick. 

    This. As I understand it, a good muck dive site needs current, as the current is what brings nutrients for the critters to develop, but shooting something the size of a rice grain without a solid anchor is nigh on impossible in all but the calmest of waters.

  10. Current is not a feature of muck diving sites, but is sometimes present. Many muck subjects move about so don’t need current to provide nutrients.

    Muck sticks are very much a personal decision. I typically do not carry one. I find them a struggle to manage and prefer to have both hands to manage my cameras gear.

    What muck sticks should not be used for is: Subject rearrangement, as a substitute for poor buoyancy control and to try and get pictures in situations in which there is a possibility of damaging the environment. If a shot is proving difficult to get without impacting on the environment, move on....

    I can normally shoot super macro without touching down however if there is a current, I would simply look for larger subjects :)

  11. 1 hour ago, adamhanlon said:

    What muck sticks should not be used for is: Subject rearrangement, as a substitute for poor buoyancy control and to try and get pictures in situations in which there is a possibility of damaging the environment. If a shot is proving difficult to get without impacting on the environment, move on....

    I think we can all agree on that!

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.