Both Massimo and Owen have brought some great insights to the discussion but I think we are seeing several phenomena here at once:
-
We have an elephant in the room that of course everyone avoids naming: generally speaking, forums are dying. They are being slowly killed by social media. WetPixel resists despite everything and that's why I care a lot.
-
The level of attention of users, thanks to social networks, has decreased a lot, not to say almost nullified.
-
There is a general leveling down of the photo/video product. Quoting a very nice Italian book, I called it the paradigm of low resolution:
View archived post in: Digital Camera Stagnation Good or Bad?
Elaborating on the previous points:
#1 There is little to say about the death of forums. Only a few very specialized forums resist. From what I see as a simple user, WP is holding on but it's tough. It's no mystery that most of the posts are buying and selling and WP editors are doing a huge job, even with WP live, to keep the interest high. But it's clear that users need to be chased on other channels and brought back here with difficulty. The whole point of my OP was to feel sorry to see that this editorial effort has totally forgotten videos.
#2 If I look at the stats for my Vimeo channel, I'm going to cry. As Owen writes, the percentage of users who make it to the bottom of a video, even a short one, is ridiculous. And you have to keep in mind that both Vimeo and Youtube in their statistics also take into account the simple uploads or auto play of users who scroll the timeline on social networks. But here there is little to do: it is the current mode of fruition of everything now, from news to video to photos. Studies say that that 70% of users read only headlines of articles before sharing. Twitter has recently introduced a feature that warns users to have not opened the link they are sharing. Imagine if they have time to watch a 3 minute video!
#3 Another elephant in the room is the slow agony of the photography market in general. Fewer and fewer DSRLs and mirrorless cameras are being sold. The market is slowly being eroded from the bottom by smartphones. So the photographic market is gradually moving upwards on the most sophisticated AKA profitable models. Prices of the latest models has increased a lot in an unjustified way. This is another sign of a shrinking user base. Indirectly also the underwater photo market suffers, which is an infinitesimal niche.
We all agree that underwater photography requires sophisticated equipment but how can you justify a D850 to post photos with hipster filters on Instagram? Same thing for video.
But going back to the OP I think the problem is only editorial. Probably WP editors have done analysis with data that we don't have or maybe they just care about photography and amen.
Obviously on some things I don't agree with you:
The amount of underwater videos produced does not seem to me to have decreased, quite the contrary! Youtube and Vimeo, not to mention Facebook, are full of underwater videos. There are all kinds, of course the average quality is very low and GoPro are the master. The problem is that these users don't post here. And I'm not referring to showcases that leave time to spare. I'm referring to the need to seek advice on buying and using equipment. Why does an underwater photographer come here to ask for advice on the best lens or use of flashes while a video diver does not?
Excluding the Gopro market, today with mirrorless cameras the equipment to shoot a video or take a picture is exactly the same: just replace strobes with lights. So the cost is the same. On the process that leads to the finalization of a video and a photo I do not want to make controversy
Bye