Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Strange issue with Olympus EM1.2

Started by lbedogni ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Strange issue with Olympus EM1.2

8 posts
  1. Hi all, I have a strange issue with my Olympus EM1.2. I am trying to practice topside manual focus, as I may use it underwater. The problem is that I'd like to use focus peaking, but when I activate it I have a strange lag after I press the shutter, which obviously makes me lose focus in macro if I am slightly moving. If I deactivate it, the lag disappears. Anyone experienced this, or has any idea?

     

    Video of it here:

    https://transferxl.com/08xzhvKzSpzH5?utm_source=downloadmail&utm_medium=e-mail

     

    Inviato dal mio ELE-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

     

     

  2. I'm not sure I see what you are talking about in the video, it seems to react instantly when you press the shutter then it displays the image briefly afterwards before going back to showing the view through the lens.  But I am probably not seeing what you are trying to convey in the video.  I tried my camera and I see no delay?

    On a side issue I have had issues with the 60mm macro and getting it to focus on subjects that are further away after shooting close in.  It will try to achieve focus and lock onto particles isntead of getting to the subject further out.  - SO I tried S-AF + MF and purchased a focus gear for the lens.  The problem is that takes a lot of turning of the focus ring to change any appreciable distance for example to move from focusing at 200mm to 600 mm takes one full turn - but if you place the camera in the housing the gearing on the focus knob is 5:1 reduction, so turning the focus ring on the lens one turn takes 5 turns of the knob on the housing.   It is too slow to be useful you can't even tell whether the focus is getting better or worse at that gearing.

    The only way "MF"is really practical is to AF to approximate focus and rock back and forward till it comes to focus.  I almost universally rely on AF using small AF points and use C-AF+TR on back button focus and find that reasonably reliable.

  3. I'm not sure I see what you are talking about in the video, it seems to react instantly when you press the shutter then it displays the image briefly afterwards before going back to showing the view through the lens.  But I am probably not seeing what you are trying to convey in the video.  I tried my camera and I see no delay?
    On a side issue I have had issues with the 60mm macro and getting it to focus on subjects that are further away after shooting close in.  It will try to achieve focus and lock onto particles isntead of getting to the subject further out.  - SO I tried S-AF + MF and purchased a focus gear for the lens.  The problem is that takes a lot of turning of the focus ring to change any appreciable distance for example to move from focusing at 200mm to 600 mm takes one full turn - but if you place the camera in the housing the gearing on the focus knob is 5:1 reduction, so turning the focus ring on the lens one turn takes 5 turns of the knob on the housing.   It is too slow to be useful you can't even tell whether the focus is getting better or worse at that gearing.
    The only way "MF"is really practical is to AF to approximate focus and rock back and forward till it comes to focus.  I almost universally rely on AF using small AF points and use C-AF+TR on back button focus and find that reasonably reliable.
    I know it is hard to see, but if you hear carefully you'll see lag when I turn on the peaking. I tried even more, and it seems that it happens only in low light. If there is enough light, no lag occurs, but in low light with peaking on it always happens.

    As a side note, you are brave to shoot with TR ;) It always focuses on the particles with me. May I ask which settings are you using for it?

    Inviato dal mio ELE-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

  4. I have the same camera but have not experienced your issue with any lens combination. What are your focus settings, MF only or MF + AF?

  5. 6 hours ago, lbedogni said:

    As a side note, you are brave to shoot with TR ;) It always focuses on the particles with me. May I ask which settings are you using for it?
     

    I think it's mostly default settings, I use back button AF exclusively, [mode 3 for C-AF in AEL/AFL],  AF scanner mode 3, C-AF sensitivity +/-0,  Menu A3 everything is off.   It works best in close where there are generally less particles. 

    Where it does have problems is if you want to switch from close focusing at Min focus through to about 300mm distance, to something at 600mm plus, then it will lock onto particles.  Sometimes you might need to focus on something at a similar distance with excellent contrast to get it to shift a big distance.  Also pumping the back button focus can sometimes help.

     

  6. Switch to MF and try then. If it possible that the cam Still wait for Focus.

    If switching to MF resolve the Problem, you should search the Menu for setting, what the cam do by pressing the Shutter. There schould be aa setting which shoots regardless of focus. I am not sure What the default setting is here, if it is sth. like "wait for fokus" can cause the Problem. 

    Try
    A1->AF Scanner -> mode1
    C1 Release Release Priority -> Off
    maybe this could help.

    Edited by wedge
  7. I think it's mostly default settings, I use back button AF exclusively, [mode 3 for C-AF in AEL/AFL],  AF scanner mode 3, C-AF sensitivity +/-0,  Menu A3 everything is off.   It works best in close where there are generally less particles. 
    Where it does have problems is if you want to switch from close focusing at Min focus through to about 300mm distance, to something at 600mm plus, then it will lock onto particles.  Sometimes you might need to focus on something at a similar distance with excellent contrast to get it to shift a big distance.  Also pumping the back button focus can sometimes help.
     
    I'll give it a try, thanks!

    Inviato dal mio ELE-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

  8. Switch to MF and try then. If it possible that the cam Still wait for Focus.
    If switching to MF resolve the Problem, you should search the Menu for setting, what the cam do by pressing the Shutter. There schould be aa setting which shoots regardless of focus. I am not sure What the default setting is here, if it is sth. like "wait for fokus" can cause the Problem. 
    Try
    A1->AF Scanner -> mode1
    C1 Release Release Priority -> Off
    maybe this could help.
    Yes, it also happens in MF as well..

    Inviato dal mio ELE-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.