Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Venus Optics Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D Lens for Micro Four Thirds

Started by Davide DB ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Venus Optics Laowa 10mm f/2 Zero-D Lens for Micro Four Thirds

11 posts
  1. I wonder if it works behind the 6" Nauticam dome...

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1615334-REG/venus_optics_ve1020mft_laowa_10mm_f_2_zero_d.html

    • ultra wide (weitwinkel)-angle prime is designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras and provides a 20mm equivalent focal length.
    • Bright f/2 maximum aperture is well-suited to working in low and difficult lighting conditions.
    • Rectilinear design renders subjects with minimal distortion in order to suit landscape and architectural applications.
    • Three extra-low dispersion elements reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for increased clarity and color neutrality.
    • Two aspherical elements limit spherical aberrations for improved sharpness and controlled distortion.
    • Manual focus design offers a minimum focusing distance of 4.7".
    • Five-blade diaphragm produces distinct 10-point sun stars when working with smaller aperture settings.
    • Integrated CPU chip and motor enables camera-based control over aperture settings and also transfers Exif data for recording lens setting metadata.
    • Built-in petal-shaped lens hood shields the lens from stray light to reduce flare and ghosting and also protects the front elements from accidental impacts.

     

    1609430522_IMG_1467998.jpg.5b7816c8348614bf30986360dc8adde3.jpg

  2. 30 minutes ago, Davide DB said:

    I wonder if it works behind the 6" Nauticam dome...

    https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1615334-REG/venus_optics_ve1020mft_laowa_10mm_f_2_zero_d.html

    • ultra wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel)-angle prime is designed for Micro Four Thirds mirrorless cameras and provides a 20mm equivalent focal length.
    • Bright f/2 maximum aperture is well-suited to working in low and difficult lighting conditions.
    • Rectilinear design renders subjects with minimal distortion in order to suit landscape and architectural applications.
    • Three extra-low dispersion elements reduce chromatic aberrations and color fringing for increased clarity and color neutrality.
    • Two aspherical elements limit spherical aberrations for improved sharpness and controlled distortion.
    • Manual focus design offers a minimum focusing distance of 4.7".
    • Five-blade diaphragm produces distinct 10-point sun stars when working with smaller aperture settings.
    • Integrated CPU chip and motor enables camera-based control over aperture settings and also transfers Exif data for recording lens setting metadata.
    • Built-in petal-shaped lens hood shields the lens from stray light to reduce flare and ghosting and also protects the front elements from accidental impacts.

     

    1609430522_IMG_1467998.jpg.5b7816c8348614bf30986360dc8adde3.jpg

    There are some conflicting views on this lens. Things to consider

    1. It has only 5 aperture blades this is intentional to make sunstars 5 rays but this creates really bad background how would it work in water

    2. A guy I know bought it this lens has tons of flare how would it work behind a dome especially not coated in acrylic

  3. It''s only 41mm long and the 6"dome has a fair bit of extension and is designed for the Pany 7-14 which is 83mm long so good chance it would vignette. 

    It's about the same size as the 12mm f2 olympus lens (43mm long) so the ports recommended for that lens are more likely to work, the ports listed include the 140mm glass dome and the 4.33" acrylic port. 

  4. 18 minutes ago, ChrisRoss said:

    It's about the same size as the 12mm f2 olympus lens (43mm long) so the ports recommended for that lens are more likely to work, the ports listed include the 140mm glass dome and the 4.33" acrylic port. 

    Yes you are right.

    I'm selling the 4.33" dome nevertheless I'm curios 

  5. I'd be concerned about corner performance in such a small dome. When it first released I definitely took note though. If I ever see one used, I might buy it to check it. Buying used and selling afterwards usually ends up with very little actual cost. The fact that the lens has electronic aperture makes it much more usable in a housing than most other manual focus lenses.

  6. Years ago I tried for fun a 20mm lumix pancake and a Oly 12mm behind my 4.33" dome and they were pixel perfect. 10mm is wider but maybe it works

  7. 1 hour ago, hyp said:

    I'd be concerned about corner performance in such a small dome. When it first released I definitely took note though. If I ever see one used, I might buy it to check it. Buying used and selling afterwards usually ends up with very little actual cost. The fact that the lens has electronic aperture makes it much more usable in a housing than most other manual focus lenses.

    The dome is too small for wide lenses.It is really for maximum 12mm. You need the 7" for wider lenses however with this lens being so small it would most likely vignette

    It would be better to try a shorter port like the 4.33 dome

  8. Yup. The larger ports likely vignette and the smaller ports might have soft corners. I guess all the talking in the world won't tell us if it's a feasible setup. Someone will have to get the lens and a port to try it out. Probably the 140mm Dome will be best with the 4,33" dome second. 

  9. 14 hours ago, hyp said:

    Yup. The larger ports likely vignette and the smaller ports might have soft corners. I guess all the talking in the world won't tell us if it's a feasible setup. Someone will have to get the lens and a port to try it out. Probably the 140mm Dome will be best with the 4,33" dome second. 

    no doubt there are other options, the 170mm Zen dome might be OK ( the one with short extension only), but as you said it's a guessing game till someone bites the bullet and tries it.

  10. I use a 9mm Laowa Cine lens with a 6 inch port in a Fuji APS and it works fine. I had to remove shade. Here is a link to some sailfish photos.

    Toby Armstrong

     

  11. Wow nice photos indeed

     

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.