Skip to content

Member Introductions / Archived topic

Tony Spence

Started by Tony Spence ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Tony Spence

6 posts
  1. My name is Tony Spence and I’m new to Scuba Diving. I recently retired, moved to Costa Rica and focused on Scuba Diving as Sky Diving was becoming an issue. After experiencing the beauty of marine animals and their environment I decided on purchasing my own gear including an Olympus Tough TG-6 camera with a multitude of accessories. I’m hoping to gain some insight on how to make the best of my investment while staying within my boundaries. I quit being in a hurry a long time ago.

     

    cheers,

    Tony Spence

  2. Hi Tony,

    Thats a very capable camera in the right hands. And with external strobes, arms and added lenses can make some wonderful images. 

    I had and still have and use the TG 4 occasionally. 

    All the best and if your share what kind of accessories, this community will surely give you great input.

    Diggy

  3. Thank you. I spent a little time researching dive cameras and reached out to a FB Group to ensure I was on the right track. The feedback I received directed me to this package. Any comments, suggestions or information will be greatly appreciated. Note: I’m a novice

    1. Olympus Tough TG-6 Waterproof Camera - Black Camera 
    2. Olympus Underwater Housing PT-059 TG-6 & TG-5 cameras 
    3. Sea & Sea YS-03 Solis Universal Lighting System 
    4. Backscatter M52 Wide Angle Air Lens 
    5. Light & Motion Sola Dive 2000 S/F Light (US)
    6. Olympus LI-92B Battery for TG Cameras
    7. Light & Motion Sola YS Mount Kit
    8. Nauticam Strobe Mounting YS Adapter for Cold Shoe
    9. Plus batteries, chargers and straps

    Olympus Camera Pkg

  4. This is a great set up Tony to begin with and gives you far more flexibility in the kind of shots you can get. 

    And the sola would help with macro videos as this camera is a very capable macro shooter.

    The wide angle would also work in some situations, but two strobes with longer arms would help. Even one strobe works but positioning is important. And maybe you may just need a longer arm I feel. 

    To get various kinds on shots with the strobe, such as a dark background, or with lots of contrast or to highlight a subjects hair (like a hairy frogfish) one has to get used to placing the strobes correctly. 

    I would recommend looking for some tutorials online as also reading some books on underwater photography. Ex: Martin Edge's The Underwater Photographer. 

    Good luck with your new system and do share images once you can jump in and get some. If there are any specific questions do post them here.

    Diggy

  5. Hi @Tony Spence and @diggy

    Can I suggest that we try and keep this forum for introductions please? Replies tend to get "lost" in here, so other who may have the same queries do not get the benefit of the community's responses. There is a ton of information about Olympus TG cameras throughout this community!

    I think you will also find that you get more response to specific enquiries if you post it in the Beginners Forum: https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/forum/29-beginner-forum/

    or the Photography Gear and Technique one: https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/forum/18-photography-gear-and-technique/

    Thank you!

     

     

     

    Edited by adamhanlon
  6. 20 hours ago, adamhanlon said:

    Hi @Tony Spence and @diggy

    Can I suggest that we try and keep this forum for introductions please? Replies tend to get "lost" in here, so other who may have the same queries do not get the benefit of the community's responses. There is a ton of information about Olympus TG cameras throughout this community!

    I think you will also find that you get more response to specific enquiries if you post it in the Beginners Forum: https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/forum/29-beginner-forum/

    or the Photography Gear and Technique one: https://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?/forum/18-photography-gear-and-technique/

    Thank you!

     

     

     

    Makes sense,

     

    Apologies Adam :-)

    Diggy

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.