Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Rust Prevention

Started by Pomacentridae ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Rust Prevention

4 posts
  1. Hi, I carry a bunch of tools to maintain my camera rig and other equipment when I go out on fieldwork (very austere most of the time, like no proper rinse tanks you get in the resorts, we have fresh water and use it sparingly to clean electronics like the cameras). These tools are mainly metal and I spray them everyday with WD-40 to prevent rust. But I guess, like it or not things get crazy once in a while I forget or unable to, so by the end of 9 months to a year I find that my tools are have some sort of rust and some are completely rusted.

    Does anyone have any tips on how to combat rust? Or is it inevitable? 

    In my search, I've been able to find a stainless wrench, pliers (actually medical pliers!) but I got other stuff that still rust. For the Allen keys, there are stainless steel versions but not the folding set kind (I tend to lose those individual ones).

  2. 15 minutes ago, Pomacentridae said:

    Hi, I carry a bunch of tools to maintain my camera rig and other equipment when I go out on fieldwork (very austere most of the time, like no proper rinse tanks you get in the resorts, we have fresh water and use it sparingly to clean electronics like the cameras). These tools are mainly metal and I spray them everyday with WD-40 to prevent rust. But I guess, like it or not things get crazy once in a while I forget or unable to, so by the end of 9 months to a year I find that my tools are have some sort of rust and some are completely rusted.

    Does anyone have any tips on how to combat rust? Or is it inevitable? 

    In my search, I've been able to find a stainless wrench, pliers (actually medical pliers!) but I got other stuff that still rust. For the Allen keys, there are stainless steel versions but not the folding set kind (I tend to lose those individual ones).

    There are products around, you could look at :  https://boeshield.com/why-boeshield-2/

    or https://www.japanesetools.com.au/products/anti-rust-paper

    or https://www.armorvci.com/products/vci-paper/armor-wrap/

    or https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/product-category/rust-control-for-parts-tools/

    whatever you use it is best to start with clean metal if it is more than light surface rust.

  3. Thanks have you used any of these?

    Most of the products I've used can't seem to keep up with marine environments. But that Boeshield you've recommended looks like a killer one. Will order one.

  4. 24 minutes ago, Pomacentridae said:

    Thanks have you used any of these?

    Most of the products I've used can't seem to keep up with marine environments. But that Boeshield you've recommended looks like a killer one. Will order one.

    Not used the Boeshield, but have seen what the anti rust paper can do, keeps stuff rust free for a long time.  The Boeshield is worth a try I think though.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.