Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea LS-03 OK for TG-5? Any advice?

Started by demonboy ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea LS-03 OK for TG-5? Any advice?

6 posts
  1. I'm looking at getting a strobe for macro work on the TG-5 (Seafrogs housing) and like the package of strobe, grip and tray of the LS-03. I noticed there is a newer version called Solis too but I can get the original version for £100 less.
    Does anyone have any experience of using either versions of this with the TG-5? Will it suffice a noob like me? Any technical issues I should be aware of? And am I correct in saying this is TTL only, no manual adjustment?
    Interested in any thoughts/experience of this set up.
    TIA

     

     

     

  2. I would not go for the YS-03 as it only offers TTL. Considering the TG-5 already severely limits manual options I would want to at least have control over my strobe output. The YS-01 offers both TTL and Manual control and is in all other aspects the same strobe. I think they are generally quite decent, there are better strobes out there, but most also cost more money. I am using the YS-02 (same as the YS-01 or YS-03 but only manual, no TTL) on micro four thirds and only occasionally get to a situation where I desperately need more power, so in terms of power and coverage it should be good enough for a TG-5.

  3. Agree, strobes are quite portable between systems so you can keep using them as you upgrade, better to get somthing more capable up front.  You could also look at the INON S-2000, it's a nice compact little strobe.

  4. Thanks, both, for the replies. I thought the lack of manual control would be an issue and as your message came in, Chris, I happened to be reading about the S-2000! That sounds like a favourable option. 

    Am I right in saying I only need the fibre optic cable? I understand I set the flash on the TG-5 to 'fill-in', allowing me to then control the Inon's output via the manual setting and the dial?

  5. Ha. I've just found one, second hand in 9/10 condition for a great price! Let's see if it's still available...

  6. yes just a fibre optic cable and some sort of arm system for it.   Does the TG-5 have manual flash (know the TG-6 does).  If it does use that when using manual flash.  If it doesn't turn flash exposure compensation to minimum on the TG-5 to save battery and improve recycle time.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.