Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Pufferfish?

Started by blipstream ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Pufferfish?

9 posts
  1. IMG_20210427_161359.jpg

  2. Looks more like a boxfish. Where was this?

  3. Ok. Anyone knows which one exactly?

    It was in Egypt, Hurghada, Makadi Bay.

  4. Maybe a Spotted Boxfish "Ostracion meleagris"?

    Or Shortnose Boxfish (see the bump on the snout) "Rhynchostracion nasus"?

    Edited by TimG
  5. 3 minutes ago, TimG said:

    Maybe a Spotted Boxfish "Ostracion meleagris"?

    Or Shortness Boxfish (see the bump on the snout) "Rhynchostracion nasus"?

    Rhynchostracion nasus - thanks :)

  6. :good:

  7. Are you still in Makadi Bay? If so, try diving the house reef by the Serenity hotel - it really took me by surprise how good it was once you go about 15m north of the pier where all the snorkelers stop. Loads of fish, turtles etc - I did 2 dives there taking 2 teenagers from or group on their first dives, and my buddy and I agreed it wasn't far off the outer reefs.

    A good way to spend an hour or so away from the hotels without doing a full boat trip!

    Mike 

  8. On 4/27/2021 at 6:09 PM, pooley said:

    Are you still in Makadi Bay? If so, try diving the house reef by the Serenity hotel - it really took me by surprise how good it was once you go about 15m north of the pier where all the snorkelers stop. Loads of fish, turtles etc - I did 2 dives there taking 2 teenagers from or group on their first dives, and my buddy and I agreed it wasn't far off the outer reefs.

    A good way to spend an hour or so away from the hotels without doing a full boat trip!

    Mike 

    Nope I came back 3 weeks ago. But I actually did 2 dives there if I am right. Or at least pretty close. Lucky to watch 3 eagle rays flying trough the sea during those dives :)

  9. On 4/27/2021 at 4:48 PM, blipstream said:

    Rhynchostracion nasus - thanks :)

    Rhynchostracion nasus lives from Sri Lanka to Palau and south to Australia.  It's the other one, Ostracion meleagris.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.