Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Goby from the Dutch North Sea

Started by waso ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Goby from the Dutch North Sea

3 posts
  1. Hello,

    I was in the water with a very long focal length to make head shots from gobies in Zeeland (Dutch North Sea).
    Luckily, I made some bad photos too, with something more than just a gobies head - and I hope that there's enough to see for an ID.
    My guess is Pomatoschistus pictus, but it could be Pomatoschistus minutus as well. Another guess from somebody else was
    Gobius niger, but for me the colours doesn't fit.
    Any help is appreciated!

    Cheers,

    waso

    _MG_9307.jpg

    _MG_9312.jpg

    _MG_9320.jpg

    _MG_9324_Goby_close-up_1200.jpg

  2. Hi Waso,

    I dive there too. It is  Pomatoschistus minutus.  Pomatoschistus pictus would have had dark dots on the membrane at the base of the first dorsal fin. Your second photo makes the difference.

  3. On 5/24/2021 at 10:48 PM, Floris Bennema said:

    Hi Waso,

    I dive there too. It is  Pomatoschistus minutus.  Pomatoschistus pictus would have had dark dots on the membrane at the base of the first dorsal fin. Your second photo makes the difference.

    Thanks a lot!
    I didn't expect an answer anymore.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.