Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

WWL-C with Sony 18-55 SEL1855

Started by Sleepy1539 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

WWL-C with Sony 18-55 SEL1855

5 posts
  1. Hello, 

    I recently purchased a Sony Nex7 in a Nauticam housing.  I was also able to purchase a WWL-C.  The Nex7 is coming with the 18-55 kit lens and port.  I know the Nauticam WWL-C port charts do not mention this lens.  However, would it be possible to use this combination until I have the budget to buy the 16-50 lens and port?  i.e. maybe lose out on some of the 18-55 focal length, but still get pictures that are in focus?  

    Thanks

  2. 8 hours ago, Sleepy1539 said:

    Hello, 

    I recently purchased a Sony Nex7 in a Nauticam housing.  I was also able to purchase a WWL-C.  The Nex7 is coming with the 18-55 kit lens and port.  I know the Nauticam WWL-C port charts do not mention this lens.  However, would it be possible to use this combination until I have the budget to buy the 16-50 lens and port?  i.e. maybe lose out on some of the 18-55 focal length, but still get pictures that are in focus?  

    Thanks

    It really depends on the port and if the lens extends when it zooms.  Reports indicate that it extends maybe 20mm when zooming in.  It might vignette at the widest setting, but the WWL-C is designed for 24mm equivalent lenses so might be OK? 

    It sounds like you already have the 18-55 lens, port, zoom gear and a WWL-C - so you need to buy nothing to put it all together and try it.  The only cost will be a single dive to take some shots and see if you like the results. Seems like a good situation to be in - if you give it  a try please report back, it may be a useful data point.  You can even check for vignetting before you jump in the water with it.

    Assume you are aware you need to dismount the WWL to burp it - get rid of any bubbles clinging to the port or back of the lens when you first get in.

  3. The camera just showed up.  After reviewing the port geometry it appears that there is a compatibility issue with the WWL-C. 

    The lens has Nauticam's bayonet mount, but the port does not accept a bayonet adapter.   There is a M67 flip dioptor holder that will fit on the port, but I'm not sure if the M67 bayonet mount will fit on that.  Looks like it's time to take my rig to the dive camera shop and see if we can cobble something up.   Worse comes to worst, I'll have to buy a new port and lens.

     

  4. Looks like it is the flat port 72.  There is an adapter that is required to fit 67 dia filters:

    https://www.bluewaterphotostore.com/nauticam-67mm-macro-adapter

    It looks like a push on adapter so you would want to be careful using it with a heavy lens like the WWL-C it may not be feasible option as you don't want the WWL falling off.  You could nearly buy the right port for the price of the flip holder and the WWL is really too big to use with any flip holder.  I would check if it's possible to use the 45 port without a knob - it should be if the zoom gear is setup for the zoom control on the housing.

     

  5. I had not seen the push adapter.  As you mentioned, I would be concerned about maintaining a secure connection with such a heavy lens.  I'm keeping an eye out for the macro port and gear that I need.  I was hoping to get lucky and cobble something together.  

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.