Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Trim / Balancing big 8inch/10inch Domes

Started by Este ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Trim / Balancing big 8inch/10inch Domes

6 posts
  1. Just checking how you guys are balancing/Trimming your domes as my current set up tends to tilt up slightly. 

    So far, I've attached a balancing car wheel weight to the front of the dome, but I'm looking for more streamlined options. 

    If anyone has some ideas, I would love to check them out. 

  2. I use the Velcro weight system. Attach Velcro to inside of housing and weight has the other facing on it to stick.

    I used the "float the housing" in a pool/fresh water method. Add enough weight to balance and then purchase accordingly. I don't like placing on the outside, but you can.

  3. You can 3D print a weight holder (piece is on thingiverse) which will fit below the dome to counter balance it. Or add a 500g or 250g weight below the dome extension using straps (the shearwater straps are the best for that I've found).

    Last option if slightly buoyant, is using car tires lead weights (10g increments) which are sticked on the dome shade

    Edited by waterpixel
  4. Hi Este

    your problem is with arms and strobes or the housing alone? And is your rig already neutral and you have the problem of the housing turning the dome to the surface only?

    housing + arms and strobes negative —> floating arms. Will help To make it less negative and to give some impulsion on the back as the strobes need to be places at back

    housing + arms and strobes positive —> the weight trimmer as Chris suggested

    housing + arms and strobe neutral —> tires weight on the outside of the dome shades, on the bottom and on the top, the most advanced to the front of the shades possible. 

    housing alone neutral —> tire weight on the shade and floating arm in between the handles/arm supports, leaning to the back

  5. I added floating arms and then I compensate them putting an freediving ankle weight on the dome collar. In this way there's no modification to the dome. 

    You can adjust its weight just removing lead shots.

    P.S.

    Buy only freediving anklets filled with lead shots. I discovered that the ones use for gym are filled with iron

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.