Skip to content

Video Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Mini DIY tetrapod for GoPro (and other action cameras)

Started by gobiodon ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Mini DIY tetrapod for GoPro (and other action cameras)

6 posts
  1. I've just created a mini tripod (tetrapod) for my action cameras. I used  some scrap metal pieces (aluminium) I found in my tinkering cabinet (probably pieces not used for furniture assembly). Assembly was quick. I sprayed it with black  paint and next day  it was ready. Light and easy to transport. 

    mini_tripod.jpg

    Edited by gobiodon
  2. Quite simple. Most probably it will work.

    But you might need to find a way to had it some weight to keep it I’m place when there is some corrente or waves motion.

  3. 3 hours ago, pbalves said:

    Quite simple. Most probably it will work.

    But you might need to find a way to had it some weight to keep it I’m place when there is some corrente or waves motion.

    In strong current I would just fix a gopro head to a lead block

  4. For weights, I've experimented with freediving neck weights. They have have a velcro strap and can be easily attached.
    Here's a Decathlon 1.5kg model, handy for different purposes
    https://www.decathlon.sg/p/8546390-114679-frd500-freediving-lead-neck-ballast-15-kg.html

    Decathlon also makes cheap soft ankle weights in different weights as well, but not sure how these would hold in salt water.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-fitness-and-gym/c3-ankle-and-wrist-weights/_/N-1dwz33b

    if you have acces to lead shot and want to go full DIY, here's the tried and true homemade freediving neckweight method, with a tyre inner tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQOz9ePDN8

     

  5. 8 hours ago, bghazzal said:

    For weights, I've experimented with freediving neck weights. They have have a velcro strap and can be easily attached.
    Here's a Decathlon 1.5kg model, handy for different purposes
    https://www.decathlon.sg/p/8546390-114679-frd500-freediving-lead-neck-ballast-15-kg.html

    Decathlon also makes cheap soft ankle weights in different weights as well, but not sure how these would hold in salt water.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/browse/c0-sports/c1-fitness-and-gym/c3-ankle-and-wrist-weights/_/N-1dwz33b

    if you have acces to lead shot and want to go full DIY, here's the tried and true homemade freediving neckweight method, with a tyre inner tube
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cQOz9ePDN8

     

    No Decathlon weights are made of iron shots. They will rust quickly. i've tried it already

  6. 14 hours ago, Davide DB said:

    No Decathlon weights are made of iron shots. They will rust quickly. i've tried it already

    Thanks for the heads up, I was planning on buying a few!
    Best go stick to their freediving neck weight then, as it's made for use in sea water.
    I've been using their FRD500  1.5kg neck weight (https://www.decathlon.sg/p/8546390-114679-frd500-freediving-lead-neck-ballast-15-kg.html )  for actual freediving training, it's solid and comfy for that purpose, and worked quite well to stabilise a Joby tripod on scuba.
    It's soft, with 2 main (closed) shot compartments and then smaller ones on the sides and good .velcro

    I saw they also have a heavier mode "chabaud"model, seems maybe a little rigid for tripod purposes
    https://decathlon.lv/en/unlinked/335751-85214-freediving-chabaud-hydro-2-kg-neck-weight.html
    other types of FD weights:
    https://www.deeperblue.com/neck-weights-for-freediving/

     

    Edited by bghazzal
Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.