I am looking at the tg6 (worth the upgrade?) or maybe the upcoming tg7. Or is there any other compact camera that can shoot both macro and wide on the same dive with no lens switching? Right now I got the Backscatter Air Lens and it is great for both.
Thanks.
What features of the TG4 are limiting your photography? There are other compacts that are "better" cameras but they may not be better for you or your needs. Without knowing anything about your photography skills I would say the RX100 series (Id look at the RX100Va) would be the next step up for you if you want to keep with the compact line of cameras.
Has Olympus announced the TG7? did I miss that? I made the mistake of looking up the TG7 on micro43 rumors. Wow is all I can say about the comments. its great entertainment if you need to laugh on the toilet.
Thanks for the advice. I will look into the RX100.
Why do you doubt the rumors for the tg7? Even a manager said there will be a successor. And I noticed that the price of the TG6 dropped a lot lately. Could all mean nothing though.
I don't doubt that there will be a TG7, but the rumored specs seem that there is nothing changing that makes the "upgrade" worth it. The sensor is the same but newer (what does that even mean?). The lens is an F1.8 instead of F2, who shoots at f1.8 or 2 underwater? Yes, I under stand there are users who are using this underwater.
6 hours ago, Dann-Oh said:
I don't doubt that there will be a TG7, but the rumored specs seem that there is nothing changing that makes the "upgrade" worth it. The sensor is the same but newer (what does that even mean?). The lens is an F1.8 instead of F2, who shoots at f1.8 or 2 underwater? Yes, I under stand there are users who are using this underwater.
With the small sensor cameras like the TG-6, shooting at f2 or f2.8 UW is entirely possible. The TG cameras have two apertures f2/2.8 wide and f4.9/6.3 tele, They also have f8 which is achieved using an ND filter so it doesn't impact DOF or sharpness in any way. This is possible due to the depth of field you get with the small sensor. F2/2.8 is equivalent to f11/16 on a full frame camera.
The only worthwhile change for a TG-6 underwater is that has the option of manual flash control, which should extend battery life if you are shooting with strobes.
On 5/13/2021 at 10:32 AM, Dann-Oh said:
I don't doubt that there will be a TG7, but the rumored specs seem that there is nothing changing that makes the "upgrade" worth it. The sensor is the same but newer (what does that even mean?). The lens is an F1.8 instead of F2, who shoots at f1.8 or 2 underwater? Yes, I under stand there are users who are using this underwater above water.
Fixed my type-o.
On 5/13/2021 at 4:44 PM, ChrisRoss said:
With the small sensor cameras like the TG-6, shooting at f2 or f2.8 UW is entirely possible. The TG cameras have two apertures f2/2.8 wide and f4.9/6.3 tele, They also have f8 which is achieved using an ND filter so it doesn't impact DOF or sharpness in any way. This is possible due to the depth of field you get with the small sensor. F2/2.8 is equivalent to f11/16 on a full frame camera.
The only worthwhile change for a TG-6 underwater is that has the option of manual flash control, which should extend battery life if you are shooting with strobes.
Yes, I forgot to take into account that the conversion factor also applies to aperture equivalences. Thanks for the correction and now that makes sense to get the F1.8 upgrade because you could be shooting at an F8 FF equivalent. for subject separation.