Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Which $300 snoot for S2000 and TG-5?

Started by demonboy ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Which $300 snoot for S2000 and TG-5?

5 posts
  1. Hi,
    I've been thinking of purchasing a snoot for my Inon S2000, used currently on my TG-5. I came across this review which looks at the 10Bar laser pointer, Reefnet Fibre-optic and the Retra LSD.

    Before looking at the other two I was thinking of buying the 10-bar, but the Retra appears to give the best results. It does look quite big though, while battery life on the 10bar laser is a bit disappointing.

    Anyone have any experience with any of these models? Any others out there I should consider? Will I get decent results on the TG-5, what with not being able to control aperture in microscope mode? Or should I wait until I upgrade my camera, which could be a while?

    TIA

  2. I don't think you can fit a Retra LSD on an S2000; it is listed as compatible with Z-330, Z-240, D200 and D2000, all of which are considerably larger. Besides, the S2000 does not have a modeling light, so you'd be aiming it blindly. I believe 10Bar has a newer model with a laser that turns off when the strobe fires, but your best option is probably Backscatter MF-1+Snoot combo - you could sell the S2000 to offset its higher total cost.

  3. Hmmm, I only bought the S2000 from Backscatter recently! I wonder if they'll do a trade-in? The 10bar is certainly the cheaper option in the short term.

  4. I think 10Bar has a model with a centered laser. If you want to stick with your S2000 instead of changing to the MF-1 I think that's the one to go with and I also believe that it is compatible, although you should make sure before you buy.

    While I agree that for Snooting and other macro shots the MF-1 is probably best, if you also want to use your S-2000 for wide angle with the TG-5 it will be slightly better for that. There don't seem to be many reviews around for the 10bar snoot so if you go for that, it would be nice if you could share your experience with it after you tried.

  5. Yes, the 10bar is compatible with the S2000. I might just pull the trigger and get it sent over before my next dive. And yes, I'd be happy to post up my experience with it.

Ultralight Control Systems

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.