1 hour ago, Floris Bennema said:
Probably it's more of a tip for the Beginner Forum, but would like to check what experienced users think of the idea.
As a manual mode shooter it is very convenient to have aperture and shutter speed rings. Yet, after I upgraded to a camera with these rings (EPL7 > OMD M5iii), I found the default settings not very intuitive. I had to think twice before I turned the rings, which made me decide to play with the settings.
First I changed the configuration to fit the rule that in most cases the shutter speed is used for the background and the aperture for the foreground. The front ring now operates the speed and the ring on the back the aperture.
And I found out I like the viewfinder (and photo) to become brighter when I turn a ring to the right. (For the ring on the back I mean to the right with the thumb, by convention the ring now goes to the left). These settings feels intuitive and I see no problem in the decrease of shutter and aperture numbers when turning to the right.
Of course it is not a good advice to change your settings once you are accustomed to them, but I think these are ideal settings for first time ring users.
Do I overlook a disadvantage fumbling with these ring settings?
Hi Floris,
I (and many other UW-photographers, when using flash (natural light is different)), adjust aperture, shutterspeed, ISO and flash intensity manually as follows (unless some special effect is wanted):
#1.: Aperture: close to the extend to give sharp corners (WA), or enough DOF (Macro). For EM1II (MFT), I personally use f-numbers 7-11 for WA or 10-13 for macro.
#2.: Shutter: For macro as fast as flash sync allows to avoid motion blurr (the entire light is provided then by the flash that lasts approx. 1/1000s). For WA (and for macro, when background is important, e.g. you want blue sea) the speed is selected that gives the desired exposure/color (from nearly black when as fast as possible to light blue/green when slow).
#3.: ISO with MFT sensor is kept at base (i.e. 200), whenever possible (flash is strong enough), to avoid excess noise.
#4.: Exposure of the foreground is adjusted by the flash intensity.
There is no difference in this principle between ELP-7 and EM5III...
Hope this helps, Wolfgang
Suggested reading, where this principles and many more are explained in detail: https://www.amazon.de/Underwater-Photography-Masterclass-Alex-Mustard/dp/1781452229