The 105mm is exciting , particularly for full frame users. Finally, we have the opportunity to see if the optical qualities of the new flange actually make a significant difference by comparing with the F mount 105mm on an SLR. I suspect that it will!
The 50mm seems a disappointment, largely because it is front focusing, which will create challenges with ports. 50mm would be a great focal length, so it is a shame
The 105 mm appears to be longer than the F-mount version, but of course doesn't need the FTZ adapted. It would be neat if I could use the same port.
9 hours ago, horvendile said:
The 105 mm appears to be longer than the F-mount version, but of course doesn't need the FTZ adapted. It would be neat if I could use the same port.
See this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RJh7VZrjA4
The Z 105MC will fit behind your existing ports with a few spare mm (room for an achromatic diopter lens??). This, however, may not be ideal for the EMWL so I suspect you will need a new port - we will need to wait for Nauticam's (or Alex's) tests. The vid shows the new 105MC lens to have superior IQ to the 105VR F mount!
The Z 105MC will fit behind your existing ports with a few spare mm (room for an achromatic diopter lens??). This, however, may not be ideal for the EMWL so I suspect you will need a new port - we will need to wait for Nauticam's (or Alex's) tests. The vid shows the new 105MC lens to have superior IQ to the 105VR F mount!
I read your comment, Tom, and thought how could the IQ be any better than the F-mount? Then I watched the video - holy smokes!
35 minutes ago, TimG said:
I read your comment, Tom, and thought how could the IQ be any better than the F-mount? Then I watched the video - holy smokes!
Maybe it will come with Kevlar gloves for safe handling!
The Z 105MC will fit behind your existing ports with a few spare mm (room for an achromatic diopter lens??). This, however, may not be ideal for the EMWL so I suspect you will need a new port - we will need to wait for Nauticam's (or Alex's) tests. The vid shows the new 105MC lens to have superior IQ to the 105VR F mount!
Interesting, thanks! I wasn't expecting big image quality improvements, especially not at f/8 and macro distances (which I assume the F-mount version would be optimized for). I'm not sure I'm ready to buy the new one solely on the basis of that one example, but I'm much more tempted than before seeing it.
But now I'll have to ask - EMWL?
Edit: I googled and read up a bit on EMWL. Not a realistic option for me in the near future anyway.
I use a Sea&Sea housing with corresponding port. I should assemble it with the F-mount version and see how much space there is.
I uh... might have placed a pre-order on the 105 mm.
I think it should fit in my DX Macro Port 50 II on DX Macro port base (Sea&Sea). It would be nice if Sea&Sea would confirm, but I think they're usually quite slow so they probably won't. Also, the F-mount 105 mm will have to be sold at a decent price. Well, I have some time to think.