Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Focus ring - necessary?

Started by hedonist222 ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Focus ring - necessary?

8 posts
  1. Hello

     

    I intend to use my 5d mk ii in an aquatica housing with my 17-40 L and 35 f/1.4 L

     

    Are focus rings necessary?

     

    I ask because I thought focus rings were for macro lenses?

     

    Then today I was chatting with a fellow photographer and he said focus rings are recommended even for wide angle because, apparently, focus tends to hunt underwater?

     

    If it hunts once every 10 dives, that's fine.

    But if it hunts more often, say every dive, then I think I should consider adding the focus ring?

     

    Thanks

  2. I have never used a focus ring for wide angle and never felt the need to have one!

    I shoot with a Sony A7III

    Edited by waterpixel
  3. I've used 5 different Nikon DSLRs underwater (D100, 200, 300, 500, 800) with various macro and wide-angle lenses and have needed or owned a focus ring.

    Save your money until it becomes clear you need one.....

  4. 25 minutes ago, TimG said:

    I've used 5 different Nikon DSLRs underwater (D100, 200, 300, 500, 800) with various macro and wide-angle lenses and have needed or owned a focus ring.

    Save your money until it becomes clear you need one.....

    Thanks

     

    I initially thought I'd wait until it appears I need one but o currently have an order at back scatter and better to add it now.

     

    But since I won't need one. I'll skip it.

     

    Thanks both of you.

  5. 2 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

    Thanks

     

    I initially thought I'd wait until it appears I need one but o currently have an order at back scatter and better to add it now.

     

    But since I won't need one. I'll skip it.

     

    Thanks both of you.

    No worries.

    Seriously, save your money (or better, spend it on something else!). The only time I can think of that you might need a focussing ring is if you are taking macro pics and your lens can't lock on and find focus.You might then want to go to manual focus.  That can happen sometimes with, say, a 105mm lens; almost never I'd suggest with a 60mm.

    But then a focus light solves that problem AND you can use it as a dive light. 

    I can't imagine why you'd need one for WA unless you had an old lens which wouldn't AF on a more modern body. 

    Edited by TimG
  6. Then why does Aquatica sell focus rings for lenses as wide as 8mm and up to 35 mm?

    Just thinking out - why would Aquatica go out of their way to develop something that the majority would not need.

  7. There still are some lenses that are manual focus.

    Besides that, for movies you might want to manage the focus manually.

  8. 2 hours ago, hedonist222 said:

    Then why does Aquatica sell focus rings for lenses as wide as 8mm and up to 35 mm?

    It's not just Aquatica. Subal do too - although not, I think, as wide a range as that.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.