Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

aquatica nikonos style strobe connectors - extra leak risk vs fiber optic?

Started by rwb500 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

aquatica nikonos style strobe connectors - extra leak risk vs fiber optic?

5 posts
  1. I have always used fiber optic strobe connections, but my new Aquatica housing came with Nikonos style hardwired connections.  I'm fine with this as long as there is no extra risk of a leak - is there?  If the O ring in the cable fails and water gets to the copper bulkhead pins - will it get into the housing?  Will the bulkhead be ruined?

    I guess a vacuum test with no cable connected could also answer this question.   I'm missing my vacuum pump so can't do this.

  2. Hi

    Water shouldn't get through the pins into the housing. I can't say I have ever heard of this happening but I guess its not inconceivable.

    Fibre optics has so many advantages. Could you not swap out the Nikonos bulkheads for optical ones?

  3. The reason fibre optics is so popular is you avoid the extra maintenance on the bulheads - the o-rings need to serviced and you need to be careful not to let seawater drip into the pins, the concern being corrosion and loss of contact.  I don't know if they are sealed - but they do come with o-ring equipped caps to keep out water if you are not using strobes.

    Which housing is it?  I would be surprised if it was not convertible to fibre optics.

  4. its the AD810 for Nikon D810.  I was thinking I might just switch to fiber optics anyway -  now I guess I will.  Thank you both for your help.

    Edited by rwb500
  5. @rwb500 - as mentioned above, it's not usually the leak potential that causes people to go fiber optic, it's the potential failures in the field when in the middle of a dive trip. If saltwater gets in to the pins you can lose functionality and get strobe misfires or situations where the strobes won't fire at all.

    It's definitely worth updating to fiber optic, although many still dive with electronic strobe connectors w/out issues, just have to be diligent. 

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.