I will be purchasing the Canon RF 100mm macro and have a few options to consider before I choose a port. I own the Aquatica AR5 housing. Ideally I would use the Aquatica mini macro port – but the tapered design will likely keep the lens ~3cm back from the port glass (the RF lens has a wider diameter than the EF lens the port was designed for).
1. Are there consequences to having 3cm of space between a 100mm macro lens and a flat glass port? Aquatica has a wide (not tapered) flat port option – but this will reduce my ability to get the strobes in close.
2. I've heard some people have used a 100mm fisheye dome with a macro lens (this would be great for travel – one port for fisheye and macro options). Guessing this would impact how close I could focus on the virtual image (the RF 100 has an 11cm working distance for reference). Anyone here tried this with the EF 100 or equivalent?
3. Curious if there are options available to use non-Aquatica ports on an Aquatica housing (I've seen a Sea & Sea adapter – though I'm not sure it's in production anymore).
I will be talking with Aquatica (when we get a copy of the lens to test). I shoot with Aquatica for a number of reasons: I'm Canadian (having local contact is great – and I have a preference to support small local business) and I dive in cold, remote locations (Aquatica have a reputation for tough housings). I understand I would have a few more options available if I went with Nauticam... but there are always trade-offs.