Hi,
No trying to blame anyone or pretend I'm better than anyone, just genuinely confused by the diving community/industry (especially the part that travels, not talking about people who dive locally).
Most of the divers I meet tell me they care about protecting the ocean, the reefs, sharks, etc. They all have their ocean conservation tee shirts, participate to beach clean ups, and talk about conservation all the time.
Yet the biggest threat to this ecosystem is global warming. You can take out all the plastic you want from your local beach, by 2100, if we're very very lucky, earth will be 2 degrees warmer and 90% of the corals will be gone. If we're not careful, it will be more than 2 degrees and 100% of the coral will be gone (with all the effects this has on the rest of the ocean). People are focused on animal rescues, plastic in the ocean, not feeding sharks on a very specific dive site, etc. But not many people care about throwing tons and tons of CO2 in the atmosphere to fly to the other side of the planet every year for a scuba dive trip? I know people also dive locally, but many people travel for their liveaboards or amazing Macro dives in Ambon/Lembeh etc. The majority of the dive industry is based on travelling, and most of it is by plane.
Why are people still encouraging this? I've never seen any post or dive professional say to people to stop travelling thousands of kms for a 2 week dive holiday. It's often the opposite, you see instructors telling their clients to come again next year
(I know they need to make a living, but so do people who work in the Oil & Gas industry - except those people don't pretend to be environmentalist).
I feel like if you want to protect the ocean, you have to reduce your carbon footprint and do it efficiently by focusing on where you spend most. For most westerners, the efficient way to do that is by eating less meat, not driving a massive truck (not using a car at all when/if possible), not using AC to live in a freezer during summer (or heat up your to 28 degrees in the winter), and not flying to Asia (or somewhere far) every year for your amazing liveaboard holiday.
If we want to limit the warm up to 2 degrees (which is already a loooot, it will fuck up most of the ecosystems we know), we need to have a global footprint of 2 tons of co2/year by 2050 (right now the global average is around 4). I'm no math expert but even if your average is 16 tons today (that's the average of an American, don't quote me on this but I think Europeans are around 10), it's going to be difficult to divide that budget by 2 while still taking flights that cost 5 tons (again that's a minimum, if you include all the effects of flying it's more than double).
How do people live with that? They just think those numbers/estimates are bullshit and we're fine? That a magic piece of technology is going to come and save the planet at the very last minute, so no need to do anything? All we need to do is stop drinking in plastic straws and wear a sea shepherd tee shirt?
Again, not trying to discourage any other imitative for conservation, they're all great and doing it is better than not doing anything. And I know some people just don't care, all they want is have a good time and see beautiful things. My concern is about people who say (and I'm sure they do) they care about the environment, but don't focus on the main problem we're all facing.
Pfiouu that's a long post. Just wanted to share those thoughts. Feel free to insult me, tell me you're sure that I use more CO2 than you do, that my numbers are BS, that Elon Musk will save us, that we'll be dead by 2100 so it doesn't matter, etc. etc.