Hi all,
I have two different setups for top-side and need to make decisions on where to invest for UW gear to build a system around.
Currently owned bodies:
Canon 77D
Panasonic LUMIX G7
Lenses (that seem relevant):
Panasonic Leica DG Vario 8-18
Panasonic 14-140 kit lens that came with the camera
Panasonic LUMIX Vario 12-35
Tamaron SP 10-24 (Canon)
Canon 50 mm fixed
Canon 18-55
My preference is to go with the LUMIX as I've started to move that direction for topside travel for compactness And yes, I realize that question is laughable considering Im asking a question that adds considerable gear, but I still don't want to carry around huge lenses for my topside photos.
Things that are important to me:
- A good strobe system. I've seen that TTL is a thing underwater so that feature if possible. I do a lot of multi-strobe work topside but this is clearly different so I honestly don't know how many folks are using TTL underwater. I haven't seen anybody mention off-camera light meters yet though so I'm guessing people are using TTL. :0
- A good housing and ports. From what I can tell Nauticam makes (or made) a housing for the G7. Ikelite had one on sale currently. I can't tell if Ikelite has/allows for a vacuum system, which might be a deal breaker for me. I don't see a Nauticam housing for the 77D.
- If I absolutely need a different camera body I would entertain it, but I'd really prefer not to buy one. I'm happy with my cameras and generally don't feel the need to chase the new bodies. I have no desire to change brands/formats and start investing in new lenses though.
About me
I'm more of a photography gal than a video gal but I originally bought the LUMIX for its video capabilities because I have a YouTube channel for my business. Underwater I'll do more still photography, likely. Right now I'm thinking more wide angle than macro, but I suspect macro will be in my future.
I've been certified since 1998 but took a break because, well life. I'm back now though. I just spent a week in Cozumel and while it wasn't quite like riding a bike, most of it came back to me after a review of my PADI book and some good conversations. Next month I'm heading to Key Largo and in September, Tahiti.
Thanks for your thoughts and input. I've read a lot already on this forum and the info is fantastic. So much so when I go read an article somewhere else I find myself saying, "yeah, I read that over on wepixel."
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

