Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Electronic Viewfinder Settings

Started by chidiver ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Electronic Viewfinder Settings

2 posts
  1. So I have pulled the trigger on upgrading from my trusty 5DmkII to a Canon R5 mirrorless and have been playing with it topside and really love it. However, I am just flabbergasted by the sheer number of settings and options that the camera has. One of the things I am coming to love and hate is the electronic viewfinder. I generally love the exposure simulation topside, but sometimes find it hard to see the viewfinder well on bright days (I wear glasses and can't seal off the viewfinder well with my face).

    I will be housing this camera soon for UW and was trying to think about the EVF settings. My guess is that I will be switching between having exposure simulation on/off, depending on the type of photography I'm doing. On for wide angle to judge the blues and Off for any strobe driven photography where a black background is desirable (like macro).

    Am I thinking about this right? Or are folks taking another approach? (like leaving exposure simulation off 100% of the time underwater like "ye olden days"). 

    Thoughts?

  2. I would suggest that you probably want it off all the time and just judge the exposure based upon the histogram.  In any case if you hit the review button to see the pic you just took the compensation should be off to show you the actual result. 

    The problem with trying to judge a photo based on it's brightness on the LCD or even in the EVF is that brightness is relative and the in the dim UW environment ( yes even is relatively shallow water) your eyes are tuned into that amount of ambient light and the the viefinder image will often  look brighter than how it will look on your monitor at home.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.