Hey guys, didn’t know where exactly to post this as it is more of a wishlist, so please feel free to move it to the right section. I posted this here since it relates to filming underwater and white balancing often to achieve proper colors in-camera.
Thanks to Phil Rudin’s reviews, I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a WWL1-B and a CMC-1 for maximum versatility on my next trip. However, I’d really like to use an M67 variable red filter and a white balance slate or cap to avoid post color correction as much as possible. I’m also planning on using lights with ambient filters, as I probably will be shooting more wide angle than macro.
While researching I found this really cool dome Nauticam used to sell called the 9” white balance wide angle dome port. They even got an award back in 2012 for its design and I definitely get why; it is a very elegant solution to a common problem while shooting video, IMO. Has anyone used it before? I couldn't find any reviews.
Since clearly their current focus is towards more versatility and modularity, I was wondering, wouldn’t it make sense to put one of those retractable white balance iris at the end of their flat port 45? I can see this solution could be quite cost-effective, even if it raises the price a bit, it would still be way less than the dome itself, and would allow to WB often a breeze.
Now, regarding the rotating variable red filters, I’ve only found two, an Inon one and an STC optical. I was hoping to put one of them between the flat 45 and the bayonet mount, but neither have a second M67 mounting thread.
For the sake of daydreaming, let’s assume they (or someone else like Keldan) did manufacture one with a second thread. Would this minimal distance between the flat port and the water contact optic affect the latter’s image quality? Assuming I’d remove the WWL1-B shades, there shouldn’t be a problem while rotating it, right? And I can also imagine it would be easier to rotate just through the counterweight collar as if using a zoom ring topside.
I’ve still got 8 months for my next big trip so I reckoned it wouldn’t hurt to dream a little. And hopefully maybe even give them some ideas, since they do read this forum, right? Thoughts?