Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Have CMC-2...worth getting a CMC-1?

Started by mdo905 ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Have CMC-2...worth getting a CMC-1?

5 posts
  1. I currently have a CMC-2 with an LX-10 in a Nauticam case and used the lens for the first time in my most recent dive trip.  While I loved size of the camera set-up and ability to swap between the CMC-2 and the WWL-C with the bayonet system, I found myself wishing for more magnification on the CMC-2. 

    Also, I struggled at times getting the CMC-2 in focus because the depth of field is shallow.  However, I only had a few dives to practice with it and am pretty sure I'll get much better.  From what I understand, the CMC-1 has a minuscule depth of field, so it would be an even bigger challenge to focus.  

    Is it worth it for me to get a CMC-1?  I already have a trip scheduled to the Philippines where I know there will be some pigmy seahorses and other beautiful tiny creatures. 

    Any advice is appreciated.  I don't want to buy gear that I won't be able to use effectively, especially pricy Nauticam items.  

  2. If it were me I would be trying to get my technique down right using the CMC-2 before trying to step up to  more magnification.

    This link gives the achievable magnification with the Nauticam housing for both lenses so you can see how much more magnification you might get and the impact on the working distance:  https://drive.google.com/file/d/1RxSCY9zeOxSm_VTijOGE1WjLjjp2pAcG/view

    You'll see the CMC-1 fills the frame with a 34mm object across the frame (0.34x) and working distance of 48-73mm .  If you compare this to a m43 system with the 60mm macro lens it achieves 2.0x magnification with the CMC-1 and 22-70mm working distance, filling the frame with an object 9.0mm across.  The pygmy seahorses are really very small the biggest are about 25mm long from tail tip to snout, so when on the gorgonian would be smaller in total height. and they would probably be difficult to shoot with 22mm working distance. 

     

  3. Listen to Chris!  I've been shooting macro in Anilao for a long time, using OM-D cameras in Nauticam housings with the 60mm macro lens.  I started with both the +5 and +10 SubSee diopters.  After a year, I gave up the +10 as it is very hard to focus and light with that lens given the very short working distance and it did not produce better images compared to the +5. I have no experience with the CMC variants so take it for what it is worth.  Here are three good examples of images taken with the 60 mm lens and +5 diopter.  All three subjects are roughly centimeter size, the pygmy and whip coral shrimp perhaps less. 

    P9120096.jpeg.3dca14256b7bcdbd32df452c57e3a5e6.jpeg

    P5070114.jpeg.a3f2c87f4b9d8c92395763485e00d22e.jpeg

    P8050017.jpeg.0774b8a3eb2f6b1519ff256afc1335b1.jpeg

     

     

     

     

     

    Edited by troporobo — Corrections
  4. I have both, the CMC-1 gives slightly bigger subject size, but I'm on a compact RX100, so for me it all matters. It's a difference between a 30mm vs 25mm wide subject width.

    Remember that diopters don't magnify anything, they simply allow closer focusing. Magnification comes from the higher focal length of the lens on your camera. If you're diving with a basic zoom lens, perhaps you should get the Olympus 60mm instead, and a +5 diopter. That'll give you much better results.

    Edited by pygmy_whaleshark
  5. Turns out I struck a deal with another forum member (thanks calbeardiver!) that I couldn't turn down, so I now have a CMC-1 too.  We'll see how well I can focus with my compact LX-10 after some practice.  

    I know using an MFT and other detachable lens camera system will get me much nicer macro shots, but the size, weight, and cost of those systems just isn't what I'm looking for.  I'm just planning to see how good I can get with my compact for my foreseeable future.

    Thanks to everyone who replied.    

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.