There are experienced photographers using just about every style of buoyancy control device, so I don't think there is a single answer to your question.
For me, however, there's no question that a backplate and wing (Halcyon) is the best solution. The main considerations are:
1) Drag. Wrap-around jacket BCs have a lot more drag than more streamlined backplate and wing combinations. Pushing a SLR housing set for wide angle with two long arms against a current is bad enough. If you're diving with a single aluminum tank and a wetsuit, a small wing with only 27-30 lbs lift is more than enough.
2) Trim. A stainless steel backplate will weigh about 3 kg, and that weight is distributed more or less in line with the buoyancy of an aluminum tank. Most people find that a properly-set up backplate and wing rig promotes much better and easier horizontal trim u/w, which is what you want.
Being able to hover horizontally close to the bottom (with knees bent and fins up, of course) is critical both for shooting macro as well as w/a (where you will often want an upward angle). When I see a shooter with his fins and legs down and mashing the coral as he/she tries to shoot close in on macro or get a low angle for w/a, they usually seem to be wearing a PADI-style jacket BC with all their weight either on a belt or in integrated pockets, and have terrible trim.
3) Reducing danglies. DIR-style configurations with everything clipped off is similarly critical if you want to get closer to the reef for either macro shooting or to get a low angle for w/a without damaging stuff underneath. Having your SPG on a short hose clipped off to D-ring on left side of waist - and your back-up 2nd stage on a necklace under your chin - means that there is nothing dragging on the bottom when you are close.
>>Maybe they are great while swimming underwater, but I was told that when you are vertical and trying to shoot, they force you forward. I found the "forward face force" to be true when you got back to the surface.
It's true that rear flotation style BCs and backplate+wing combinations, as well as most jacket BCs, will not float you face-up at the surface if you are unconscious. But I've never experienced the "forward face force" phenomenon you describe, either with my old Seaquest Balance, or with any of the backplate + wing rigs I use now. In any case, I do most of my shooting horizontal, and underwater. (If I'm shooting at the surface - for example snorkelling with pelagics, then I'm not wearing a BC anyway.)
Take a look at the Halcyon or DiveRite websites, or any of the DIR/GUE sites, for more information about this sort of rig.
My gear (all Halcyon):
1) Stainless-steel backplate and harness for local diving
2) Aluminum backplate and harness plus trim weight packs mounted on tank cambands for any place I have to fly to.
Both of these are used with an Eclipse or Pioneer 30 or 27 lb wing for single aluminum tank wetsuit dives. I prefer the Eclipse, which also requires a single-tank adaptor. For twin tank dives, I rent a larger 45-55 lb double-tank wing, and use it with an aluminum backplate.
Frogfish