A significant question is the shooting distance. If you use white fins on your own feet, will that white balancing match your actual shooting distance?
I have noticed this problem because my white balance card is relatively small and I need to "white balance" it from a very short distance with my WACP wide angle lense. In ambient lighting the difference from actual shooting seems relatively small.
But when using videolights, the perfect white balance at short distance does not match that of actual shooting distance. When shooting with videolights, the light has to travel from the lights to subject matter and back to the camera. If the subject matter is at say 2 meters distance, e.g. a ship wreck or other scenery,. the total light travel distance is 4 meters, which is significantly different from shooting a grey card at 0.2 meter distance. Thus the colors of subject matter will not be as vibrant.
I like the idea of white or grey fins, but with a wide angle lense they will fill less than 5% of screen area. But, considering that a 130 degree wide angle lense will easily cover an area equivalent to a queensize bed, should I bring with me a queensized white sheet with me?? Ha ha.
Obviously this gets more complicated when there is a combination of video light and ambient light.
For single picture still photography this might be less of a problem because you might want to let the background to fade to blue or whatever is the dominant background color. But for shooting 3D underwater photogrammetry this is a problem because you would want to use true colors of the subject matter irrespective of the distance.
Incidentally the Aquatica/Amphibico metallic white balance card has a prefabricated green/bluish color cast. This does slightly help in matching the final shooting distance for proper white balance. I have just recently learned to appreciate this.